Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Transporting a mini dobsonian

I've had my Heritage 114p Virtuoso since November and enjoyed some good backyard sessions (not many lately though due to weather).  In June we're getting a few days (and more importantly nights) away in rural northern Scotland where the skies will be significantly darker than my light polluted location outside Glasgow.  I know in the Scottish "summer" there's limited proper darkness but I'm still thinking it will be worth taking the scope on our trip if I'm prepared to put in a shift in the early hours.  But transporting it on a 3 hour car journey is a worry...  And although I believe the primary mirror is fixed I'd rather not have to delve into collimating on arrival.

Is the original packing box my best option or should I be looking to get a carry case?  It's not a common size (500 length x 114 diameter) so I haven't found one made to fit - and I don't want to pay silly money.

And yes, I know that if I take the scope I'm just going to jinx my whole holiday with clouds and rain.

Thanks

David

My Heritage 130P has travelled worldwide in a stuff sack, in my carry on back pack. The stuff sack keeps out dust and moisture and silica gel sachets are inside too as a precaution. 

It's handled overhead bins, under seats in front and car journeys without issue. So as long as you pack your mount and scope carefully so a load doesn't shift and squish it, I'd venture you wouldn't need expensive cases...

Mine's been throughout Africa without issue many times. Pack it carefully with soft coats around the stuff sack / backpack and you're good to go... 

have a good trip :thumbsup:

Archived