Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Krisko

Celestron powerseeker 70AZ ,is it enough to see Jupiter , Saturn rings clearly

Hello everyone !

Im interested in stargazing , but i dont have any expirience. My question is : is celestron powerseeker 70az good enough to see jupiter and saturn rings clearly ? 

Добър вечер Krisko and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

You will be able to see the main equatorial belts and Galilean moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn + Titan, (Saturn's largest moon).

My very first telescope was a 40x/40mm refractor telescope and I could just about 'split' Saturn's rings, (and that was way back in the the late 1970's / early 1980's).

I have visited BG many times since 1999 and viewed the solar eclipse from Krapets. I usually stay in Varna City. I viewed Jupiter & Saturn from the hotel balcony. Despite the light pollution, I did OK. I used a TeleVue Ranger, (also a 70mm refractor), a Manfrotto camera tripod and alt/az head.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The additional 20mm of aperture will provide better views and you will be able to see a little more detail when the seeing conditions are good and the targets are reasonably placed for observing.

With astro observing, practice means that you see more. At first the scale of the target objects in the eyepiece will seem small and the details vague but the more you observe, the better you will get at teasing out the details.

Have fun with your new scope :smiley:

• Like 3

On 2018-05-09 at 13:49, Krisko said:

Thank you, but i bought Astro Master 90eq , hope its better :p

Congratulation! Your equatorial mount (a Celestron version of EQ-2) will give you far better slow motion capability than the Astromaster AZ mount.

FYI, if you ever find the high power view from your 10mm eyepiece unsatisfactory, it might very possibly be the "ball-shape" diagonal to blame, not the eyepiece.

I have a review on the Astromaster 70AZ which talks about this issue:

• Like 2

On 16/05/2018 at 18:56, Rocket_the_Raccoon said:

Congratulation! Your equatorial mount (a Celestron version of EQ-2) will give you far better slow motion capability than the Astromaster AZ mount.

FYI, if you ever find the high power view from your 10mm eyepiece unsatisfactory, it might very possibly be the "ball-shape" diagonal to blame, not the eyepiece.

That's a great review. :thumbsup:

Thanks,Ph

On 16.05.2018 г. at 20:56, Rocket_the_Raccoon said:

Thank you !

Last night i go out , and tried to watch Jupiter. I found it , but the problem was i was not able to see it with types of colors. I only see Jupiter in one color. Also when i looked at the moon, my eye start hurts , the light was really irritating my eye , and i could not see details on moon , only irritating eye and nothing more... :/

My first scope was a Celestron 90EQ. It have lovely views of the inner planets and larger DSO. The Moon looks fantastic. 90mm aperture is a good starting point. Jupiter can look all the same colour if the sky conditions are bad. It will take a few nights observing for you to start seeing different colours. 

The Moon can be bright and if you're not used to it, it can hurt a little. This should pass the more you look at it. If you want you can buy a Moon filter which brings the brightness down. 

Congrats. Enjoy. 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

My first scope was a Celestron 90EQ. It have lovely views of the inner planets and larger DSO. The Moon looks fantastic. 90mm aperture is a good starting point. Jupiter can look all the same colour if the sky conditions are bad. It will take a few nights observing for you to start seeing different colours. 

The Moon can be bright and if you're not used to it, it can hurt a little. This should pass the more you look at it. If you want you can buy a Moon filter which brings the brightness down. 

Congrats. Enjoy. 

Thank you so much... I try again and again . Yesterday i thought my telescope is broken or smth else .. Thank you very much for your fast reply!

Also, the inner planets are very low down in the sky right now when seen from the northern hemisphere. This means there is also a lot more air and pollution for the light from them to travel through. This will affect the view because of the low angle. Check to see what time the planets will be at their highest in the sky where you are. Could be very early in the morning etc. 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Thanks 1

I was out last night with my 90mm scope & could see no detail on 

Jupiter at all. Not very good for observing at the moment , i am afraid.

18 hours ago, Krisko said:

Thanks,Ph

Thank you !

Last night i go out , and tried to watch Jupiter. I found it , but the problem was i was not able to see it with types of colors. I only see Jupiter in one color. Also when i looked at the moon, my eye start hurts , the light was really irritating my eye , and i could not see details on moon , only irritating eye and nothing more... :/

Just like LukeSkywatcher said, you need a moon filter for viewing the moon comfortably.

As for Jupiter, I believe it was just bad "seeing"  (atmospheric condition). Bad seeing can make planetary images blurry and featureless even on a telescope larger than yours. A few nights ago. I saw the clearest and sharpest view I have ever seen with my 70m at 111x. About half an hour before that, Jupiter was featureless at the same magnification. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't say you need a moon filter to observe the moon comfortably. It's a personal choice. You can use one if you really want to or just get used to the moon without one. The more you observe the moon, any discomfort caused will go away. The light isn't dangerous. It won't harm your eyes like direct sunlight. 

I have the little brother to the kit in question, the Celestron "Astromaster" 70 EQ...

kit.jpg.eb53cc4adb8d1259de7257d62cad067f.jpg

But I was after Synta's deluxe version of their copy of a Japanese EQ-1, a Celestron CG-2, primarily if not solely.  The refractor, to me, was thrown in as a bonus.  In any event, you cannot purchase the mount separately  I've been improving the refractor; and will soon be improving the EQ-1, taking it apart, cleaning it out, regreasing it, and perhaps to add some vintage wooden legs for the tripod, depending.  I've got a new old-stock set of them from a kit I picked up off of eBay.  The EQ-1 is too small, however, to carry about a 70mm f/13 achromat.  Instead, I'll be placing my vintage 50mm f/12 achromat on it, and what I call "The Floating Achromat"...

5b02407b9442b_FloatingAchromat.jpg.3f62b63653e110607b57b78acf6f09d7.jpg

I even got a wee 9V motor-drive for it, too.

Your mount is the Celestron CG3, an EQ-2.  A bit larger than the CG2, but capable of carrying larger and heavier telescopes.  Yours will be more versatile than my own, in that regard.

Edited by Alan64

Hi again Krisko. I use this type of variable polarising filter for lunar/moon observing...

5addf27ccac70_variablemoonfilter.jpg.e490ce031fc7badb2a139b6d8384c995.jpg

...it sometimes helps me when observing Venus to when it is in a 'blue' sky too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alan64 said:

The EQ-1 is too small, however, to carry about a 70mm f/13 achromat.  Instead, I'll be placing my vintage 50mm f/12 achromat on it, and what I call "The Floating Achromat"...

large.IMG-20170821-WA0022-01.jpeg.87af2182104af5285b62fd4bee885c1a.jpeg   I place my 70mm f/13 (also an Astromaster) on an Orion version of CG-4...and I used the Astromaster AZ mount with my 70mm f/5.7 as a grab-and-go combo.

23 hours ago, Alan64 said:

Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12, Sears(Tanzutsu) 60mm f/15

My first telescope is a 50mm f/12 but it is a Tasco and I used to have a 60mm f/15 which gave superb views even at 150x. I loves long refractors, too bad they are not made (as least not within my budget) anymore.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Philip R said:

...it sometimes helps me when observing Venus to when it is in a 'blue' sky too.

Good advice! I somehow forgot that I can also use my moon filter on Venus too.

thank you all guys, theese days the weather is really bad in Bulgaria.. only clouds so i cant go out and watch stars.. Im really unpatient to watch again,So i hope i will see Jupiter more clearly ;P 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Krisko said:

thank you all guys, theese days the weather is really bad in Bulgaria.. only clouds so i cant go out and watch stars.. Im really unpatient to watch again,So i hope i will see Jupiter more clearly ;P 

If you get the 9V-battery motor for the RA-axis of the mount, to automatically track, you will be able to increase the magnification, and up to the resolving limit of the 90mm aperture.  With the motor tracking, the mount will not have to be adjusted and touched so often.  It will make for steadier viewing...

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p395_Skywatcher-Tracking-motor-for-EQ-2-mount.html

Then there's the deluxe motor kit with a hand controller, but I don't recommend it as the speed cannot be adjusted whilst tracking...

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2934_Skywatcher-Quartz-controlled-RA-axis-tracking-motor-for-EQ-2-Mount.html

It can be adjusted on the 9V motor, to fine-tune the speed whilst observing; keeping an object perfectly centered and standing still there in the eyepiece, and for matching the speeds of the Sun vs. the Moon vs. everything else.

You did well in choosing a 90mm over a 70mm...

435475079_70-90mmcomparison.jpg.43a43552fdb2a0b329c2d01264b68fca.jpg

Enjoy.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2018 at 04:22, Alan64 said:

If you get the 9V-battery motor for the RA-axis of the mount, to automatically track, you will be able to increase the magnification, and up to the resolving limit of the 90mm aperture.  With the motor tracking, the mount will not have to be adjusted and touched so often.  It will make for steadier viewing...

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p395_Skywatcher-Tracking-motor-for-EQ-2-mount.html

Then there's the deluxe motor kit with a hand controller, but I don't recommend it as the speed cannot be adjusted whilst tracking...

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2934_Skywatcher-Quartz-controlled-RA-axis-tracking-motor-for-EQ-2-Mount.html

It can be adjusted on the 9V motor, to fine-tune the speed whilst observing; keeping an object perfectly centered and standing still there in the eyepiece, and for matching the speeds of the Sun vs. the Moon vs. everything else.

You did well in choosing a 90mm over a 70mm...

435475079_70-90mmcomparison.jpg.43a43552fdb2a0b329c2d01264b68fca.jpg

Enjoy.

mm thank you very much! Thats nice, but is it easy to install on my telescope ? I have to check it before buy . I think finding objects in sky manual gives me more happiness haha, but tracking objects after 10-20 minutes is annoying :D 

On 21/05/2018 at 14:40, Philip R said:

Hi again Krisko. I use this type of variable polarising filter for lunar/moon observing...

5addf27ccac70_variablemoonfilter.jpg.e490ce031fc7badb2a139b6d8384c995.jpg

Philip why two filters ? 

On 21/05/2018 at 06:05, Rocket_the_Raccoon said:

Just like LukeSkywatcher said, you need a moon filter for viewing the moon comfortably.

As for Jupiter, I believe it was just bad "seeing"  (atmospheric condition). Bad seeing can make planetary images blurry and featureless even on a telescope larger than yours. A few nights ago. I saw the clearest and sharpest view I have ever seen with my 70m at 111x. About half an hour before that, Jupiter was featureless at the same magnification. 

I found some moon filters, but they are not specified for diameter ( in my case 90 mm ) I just saw 1.25'' and so on .. 90mm = 3.5 inches , soo how to understand which size of moon filter to buy ? 

The filter screws into the bottom of your eyepiece, not to the end of your scope... therefore, 1.25" is correct for a 1.25" eyepiece. The size of the scope is irrelevant to the size filter you need for an eyepiece.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Krisko said:

mm thank you very much! Thats nice, but is it easy to install on my telescope ? I have to check it before buy . I think finding objects in sky manual gives me more happiness haha, but tracking objects after 10-20 minutes is annoying :D

It's quite simple really, and besides, it comes with instructions.  Your owner's manual makes merry mention of it, under "Motor Drive".  Have a look at it. 

No, the motor will not find objects for you.  It simply tracks an object once you manually find and place it in the eyepiece's field-of-view, automatically, and without having to fiddle with the RA-axis slow-motion control instead.  You would still need to adjust the declination-axis on occasion, but only if the mount is not perfectly aligned with the NCP, the North Celestial Pole; Polaris, the North Star, is very close to the NCP...

axes3.jpg.5c83710d92263800b1239868e2d32615.jpg

The center of the RA-axis, in red, is pointed at Polaris.

Since Polaris is so very close to the NCP, the star never seems to move.  It actually does, but in a very, very tight circle around its "self".  It does not move across the sky however, and like most every other object does.

Edited by Alan64
  • Thanks 1