Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

450D modded worth it?

That's a good price.

Having a camera with Live View will help as well as it being modded.

If you're just starting out on the imaging journey it's not a huge investment and you can start to learn before spending any more.

Neil

20,000 is not too high, I would say. The number of 50,000 is often quoted as a reasonable life expectancy of that shutter, so it isn't even halfway through. I had a lot of fun with my modded 450D, before I could get a VERY nice 550D with a very low count indeed, and went for that. As for testing. Before buying the 550D, I just stuck a lens on, and tested the shutter once or twice, to see that it was working. Don't forget that modded cameras tend to hang off the back of scopes, rather than being knocked about in general use, so they should last longer, if anithing. Astronomers are generally quite careful with their kit, I find.

Thanks for the responses guys, I am about to mail him about buying it, perhaps you will see some pictures pass by in the future.

EDIT: The guy already sold the camera now, very dissappointing. Guess I'll save some money and check if they have something interesting at Cheap Astrophotography.

The 450d is a belter.  Go for it.

I maintain that you can get 75% of the standard of a very expensive CCD/scope/mount with just the 450D, a reasonable scope and mount, good polar alignment and guiding, and some know-how and experience.  You pay all those £thousands more for that 25% extra.

Read Steve Richard's "Steppenwolf's" book - "Every Photon Counts".

• 1 month later...

I'm not so sure shutter count is anything to really be concerned about...

In the old days, when I used a film camera, I must have pressed that button many many thousands of times - never had a shutter fail.

The mechanics of a dslr are no different to those in a fslr.

I've been looking into it myself recently, and that conclusion is what I've drawn.

Have a look around the photography forums - some dslrs die after 5,000 clicks, some others of the same model still work after 250,000. If it works now, the chances of failure are really pretty equal on a unit with 1,200 clicks as one with 120,000.

What can actually make a difference is type of use - a dslr that's astro modded is likely to have been used for long exposures, which creates heat, and heat kills electronics.

20k 5 minute clicks is probably worse than 100k daily use clicks - but that's from a sensor/cpu perspective, not the shutter itself. But, even then it's not exactly like a 90% lifetime shortening situation...

I await flames and arguments ;)

Manufacturer's spec for the 450D is 200,000 activations.

A serious session is 200 frames. Far fewer now I guide which means much longer subs. Plus I find I can re-use many control frames, even flats thanks to scrupulous sensor cleaning.

A good years is 50 sessions.

That's potentailly 20 years of imaging.

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Manufacturer's spec for the 450D is 200,000 activations.

A serious session is 200 frames. Far fewer now I guide which means much longer subs. Plus I find I can re-use many control frames, even flats thanks to scrupulous sensor cleaning.

A good years is 50 sessions.

That's potentailly 20 years of imaging.

Your sensor is more likely to die of old age before your shutter fails...

Spec might be 200k, but some fail sooner, some achieve well over double that figure.

Even taking half that into account as a bad-case scenario (say 100k), that's approx 10 years worth from your figures.

Buy a used camera with 50k clicks on - you've got "5 years left".

What are the chances of wanting an upgrade sooner than that?

Is shutter count really worth losing sleep over?

Archived