SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Beginning To Sketch

Mrastronomer101

I am not new to astronomy but I have never sketched before. I would love to be able to sketch to show my family and friends  what objects really look like through big telescopes. The Thing is i am not very good at drawing. Is it still possible for me to get good sketches.

Yes, i am no artist but i enjoy sketching the planets

I just draw what i see as accurately as i can - will never win any prizes but i do my best

I think drawing allows you to see more detail as you can really focus on the object

Give it a go and do post your results

Once you begin to draw, you'll begin to see more of the subtle detail that might otherwise be overlooked. You don't have to be an artist either. Just make an eyepiece sketch that's as accurate as you can and you'll soon build up a valueable record of observations. Often, when making an eyepiece sketch the end result can be a bit rough and ready, with mistakes and corrections littering the scene. All observers make these mistakes no matter how experienced they are, as drawing in the dark, even with a red torch, while at the same time controling a telescope, is not easy! Because of this most sketchers make a cleaned up version of their eyepiece drawing soon after the initial observation. 

Ear buds make great blending tools!

I found starting off that open clusters were a good introduction.  There was little or no shading, except where the cluster was concentrated.  When I saw the results it gave me the confidence to move onto other objects.  The more you sketch the better you become.  It is daunting to begin with, but give it a go and you will surprise yourself.

Good luck.

I started sketching in early 2017, my observing has improved as has my interest in astronomy, 
sadly my sketches have had little improvement.
But what the heck, its been and is still being fun and that's the point.

Easily started all you need is an HB pencil and a sheet of A4 paper next time you observe, have a rough and I mean rough sketch of what you see.

Archived