Narrowband

which dslr

I'm sure this subject has been done nearly to death but a search in here for this specific topic yields not the results I need and the major sites for milky way photography appear to give conflicting advice !

So my question is the following....

I am in the market for a new dslr which is my favoured weapon of choice.

I am starting to do some widefield nightscapes and stitched milky way images.

I currently have a modded 40d which I plan to keep for my long lens and hopefully soon a WO small refractor on a star adventurer.

For the widefield nightscapes, my 1000d is not cutting the mustard with sensitivity etc.

So.....do I upgrade to a newer model APS-C sensor camera? (i'm thinking an 800D) and spend the cash I will save on wide lenses and a WO 61?....or shall I bite the bullet and go for a full frame sensor camera  (i'm thinking 6D) for my panoramas and nightscapes as the best option?

All advice is gratefully received

Cheers,

Andy

I have a canon 600d and a canon 6d and since buying the 6d I haven't even attached my 600d to any lenses or telescope. The 6d is very sensitive and has extremely low noise and is my camera of choice when I travel to darker sites along with my Samyang 135mm lens.

Even unmodified it has very good HA response too.

1 hour ago, Andywilliams said:

Hi Michael,

thanks for your reply.....im not sure what you mean by it undersampling with the WO61 though?

cheers, Andy

Using the 6D WO61 you get what's called a sampling rate of 3.74 arc seconds per pixel which is supposedly a bit on the high side but it's all a bit academic if it's what you've got and certainly not unusable.

On the face of it an OSC sensor with smaller pixels would suit better 6D pixels 6.54 microns 600D or 60D 3.74 pixels giving 2.46 arc secs / pixel

Dave

Hmmm, a difficult choice, and one I can certainly relate to.  Can't help on the pros / cons of various pixel sizes I'm afraid, but for panoramas and nightscapes, I opted for the 6D, and it's an absolute beast, especially if coupled with a fast, wide lens (I highly recommend the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 - excellent value for money in my view, in a market where you can spend *way* more, depending on the brand).  The difference in image quality from my old 1100d is very significant, and worth the higher cost for me.  Maybe spend a bit of time looking at other images on here or on 'Astrobin' - it might give you a better idea of what you can expect from the various combinations?  My only caution with the 6D route would be to check the budget for the inevitable extras - spare batteries, carry-bags etc. 

Unfortunately I made the mistake of strapping my 6d to my ED80 scope and now I don't want to go back to using the 1100d and want a second 6d - one for widefield, one for the scope...  Unfortunately the piggy bank is empty, so that's a no-go!!

I have no experience of the 800d I'm afraid, and others with experience may shout me down here, but I worry that the 800d won't feel like a significant enough upgrade from the 1000d.  I have no doubts that the 6D images will feel like an upgrade.  The obvious problem with that could be (and was for me) that it prohibits other purchases until funds recover.  So you might have to prioritise what you fancy doing most, between a widefield nightscape set-up and a deep-sky scope / mount set up. 

Good luck whatever you decide.  Enjoy the feeling of excitement that comes with deciding new astro-purchases!

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 00:21, Davey-T said:

Using the 6D WO61 you get what's called a sampling rate of 3.74 arc seconds per pixel which is supposedly a bit on the high side but it's all a bit academic if it's what you've got and certainly not unusable.

On the face of it an OSC sensor with smaller pixels would suit better 6D pixels 6.54 microns 600D or 60D 3.74 pixels giving 2.46 arc secs / pixel

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I am aiming to use my modified 40d on a long lens or a WO61  and I should then have all the bases covered ! cheers, Andy

On 5/8/2018 at 08:46, geordie85 said:

I have a canon 600d and a canon 6d and since buying the 6d I haven't even attached my 600d to any lenses or telescope. The 6d is very sensitive and has extremely low noise and is my camera of choice when I travel to darker sites along with my Samyang 135mm lens.

Even unmodified it has very good HA response too.

I agree with geordie85. I've had 2 aps-c camera's and bought a full frame and never use the aps-c any more. Reduced noise is a huge plus. I use mine on an 80mm triplet so it is a fair bit undersampled but as I use Pixinsight I can drizzle the stacked frames to double the resolution quite easily. I'm often surprised at how good small objects like galaxies turn out.

I've bucked the big 2 and shoot a Sony A99, you can check my results in my gallery here. Just bought my first cooled mono cam + filter wheel and filters so waiting for the compulsory cloud to clear up before testing it!

Canon have the best software support but you can make pretty much any camera work that is fully manual and has a wireless intervalometer available. I've been using an eBay special wireless JYC unit that cost $35 and I've had it for 4 years :-)

Once you try full frame you'll never look back!

Archived