Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Amateur astronomer or recreational sky observer

jambouk

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if ever there was a case of pigeon-holing this must be it.

I play golf, but I'm never called "a golfer".  I play off 3 handicap and used to play Kent League, so does this mean I am highly skilled so could actually qualify as an "amateur golfer" or in reality am I just someone who plays golf to a reasonable standard?  However, I cycle and am always called "a cyclist".  In neither hobby do I contribute towards its enhancement or public awareness, I just enjoy doing them.   

Hobby snobbery?

Both articles say that amateur astronomy involves "work" and they're probably right, but most of us already have jobs and the last thing we need when we think we've got a gentle hobby is to make it into another "job". I reckon the best description of our pastime lies in the title of this forum - stargazers.

2 minutes ago, KenG said:

Both articles say that amateur astronomy involves "work" and they're probably right, but most of us already have jobs and the last thing we need when we think we've got a gentle hobby is to make it into another "job". I reckon the best description of our pastime lies in the title of this forum - stargazers.

Absolutely! If you work, you want relaxation therapy, not more stress. I stopped using equatorial mounts with all their hassels for that reason. Dobsonians are really a step up from binoculars if used in leisurely stargazing, with less strain on neck & shoulder. 

See what can be seen, look it up & enjoy the escapism!

34 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I think the word amateur itself is to blame. Most people when they hear it, it has implications of being new, a novice, not being very good at what it is you do, inexperienced. 

None of which I believe to be true. 

Unfortunately, Paul, every one of those is true for me :happy11:

39 minutes ago, RayD said:

Unfortunately, Paul, every one of those is true for me :happy11:

Which part you having trouble with?. Pointing a scope to the night sky or looking through an EP?. 

LOL. 

It's not rocket science. 

I'm just kidding Ray. 

*warning kids.... Never point a telescope at the sky during the day without proper solar safety filters in place*. 

We can do it because we are experienced seasoned professional amateur occasional recreational observering stargazer astronomers. 

Am I gonna have to type that every time I wanna say I was out with my scope today/ last night?. 

2 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

*warning kids.... Never point a telescope at the sky during the day without proper solar safety filters in place*. 

We can do it because we are experienced seasoned professional amateur occasional recreational observering stargazer astronomers. 

Am I gonna have to type that every time I wanna say I was out with my scope today/ last night?. 

The most expensive business card in the world........... Probably! 

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I think the word amateur itself is to blame. Most people when they hear it, it has implications of being new, a novice, not being very good at what it is you do, inexperienced. 

I resemble that remark :D

12 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Yup. 

And kids use fracs projecting the sun as lasers to burn things, generally or to experiment. And in the air with a powerful lamp through the OG through a small eye lens eye piece. 

19 hours ago, niallk said:

Richard Feynman:

"A poet once said, “The whole universe is in a glass of wine.” We will probably never know in what sense he said that, for poets do not write to be understood. But it is true that if we look in glass of wine closely enough we see the entire universe. There are the things of physics: the twisting liquid which evaporates depending on the wind and weather, the reflections in the glass, and our imagination adds the atoms. The glass is a distillation of the earth’s rocks, and in its composition we see the secrets of the universe’s age, and the evolution of the stars. What strange array of chemicals are in the wine? How did they come to be? There are the ferments, the enzymes, the substrates, and the products. There in wine is found the great generalization: all life is fermentation. Nobody can discover the chemistry of wine without discovering the cause of much disease. How vivid is the claret, pressing its existence into the consciousness that watches it! If our small minds, for some convenience, divide this glass of wine, this universe, into parts — physics, biology, geology, astronomy, psychology, and so on — remember that nature does not know it! So let us put it all back together, not forgetting ultimately what it is for. Let us give one more final pleasure: drink it and forget it all!"

Not familiar with that quote but I'm glad I am now Niiallk; thanks for sharing it,  it's typical Feynman poetic and challenging, love it . :) 

Jim 

I am a recreational sky observer.  When I have the time and it's clear I like go outside and have a closer look at things I've read about.

I've been a "Stargazer" for over 60 years, I made astronomical equipment professionally for 35 years and I am now an unpaid "provider". At all times I've usually been referred to as Peter.   :icon_biggrin:

Me looking through scope;

"Isn't that colourful

"Nice pattern (mentally joins star/dots)

"Smear on the eyepiece! Or mirror! Nope, nope, must be in the sky. No clouds so must be an object of some sort. 

"What constellation am I looking towards again?"

Etc. Etc. 

1 minute ago, 25585 said:

Me looking through scope;

"Isn't that colourful

"Nice pattern (mentally joins star/dots)

"Smear on the eyepiece! Or mirror! Nope, nope, must be in the sky. No clouds so must be an object of some sort. 

"What constellation am I looking towards again?

Etc. Etc. 

We reciting poetry now? LOL

Interesting thread. To me, professional means more to do with your attitude towards a subject than whether or not you get paid for it. Thus, many amateurs are actually unpaid professionals even if doing it for recreational purposes.

I also think amateur astronomers do contribute to science albeit in a small way. By buying stuff (some of us are definitely professional at that!) we are raising awareness and increasing the popularity of the hobby, and contributing to the growth of the industry. Agreed, not every newcomer sticks with it but it's the same in all hobbies.

Archived