Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What lens to attach to Atik 314l.. and how is it done

Hi all.I have an SW Ed80 pro on an Heq5 with a qhy5 guidescope on the  finderscope.I've started imaging with an Atik 314l+ mono and reducer  but a lot of tagets won't fit on so I thought about mosaics but it's daunting and there probably isn't enough time to capture rgb for a mosiac with my setup.Is there a good fast lens I could attach to the Atik that will give decent results for targets like Andromeda??.What  would I do about guiding ? Hope this makes sense.TIA

You can get a geoptik adapter to attach a ccd/ cmos camera to canon/ Nikon lenses but I don't think you'll be able to reach focus if used with your filter wheel aswell. Although the canon version of the adapter will accept 1.25 and 2inch mounted filters.

A highly recommended lens is the samyang 135mm f2 and it comes highly recommended for good reason. It's an awesome lens

Thanks..my other night time lens are both samyang and both great  so I'm sure  the 135 mm would be too. What about 200mm? Any ideas ?  I will need to research the back focus as it's a concern I hadn't thought of.. doh

The samyang 135 f2 pops up quite frequently with the same sort of set-up...don't dismiss mosaics..i had a sort of mental block and avoided doing them myself but now I've done a few moon mosaics I feel more confident and wouldn't hesitate to try a dso...its all fun on the learning curve 

sadly your camera (and mine is the same) has a small chip so mosaics a pretty much a neccessity. I have the same scope and camera chip and almost all my imaging is mosaic. I tend to do the complete image in Ha first, then if I don't manage to get all the oiii and sii data, I've at least got something to process and if I'm honest, thats where a lot of my images stop :(. The only other option is to shoot planetary nebulae or galaxies if you can get away with LRGB from where you are (I can't). One problem is if you combine your camera/flattener with a 200mm camera lens, your resolution is nearly 4.5" per pixel200mm.thumb.PNG.cd847bab6cf28a732801a035e96037df.PNG

Archived