Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wobbly planet, wobbly mount, but ‘spot on’ observing...

Stu

For reasons I won’t bore you with, I had the OMC140 with me last night but only my Giro-WR Mount on the tripod from the AZGTi without the locking tray. So, a pretty wobbly mount, and without a counterweight also not very smooth to track the target with!

I had an observing window from about 10.30 to 11.30, quite good to try and catch the transit but not so brilliant in terms of altitude and position relative to the houses.

I could only use an 18mm BGO at max (x111), 12.5mm (x160) was just too soft. At the start of the transit, it was showing on SkySafari but I couldn’t see it at the scope, the seeing just wasn’t up to it. But by 11 things had perked up a bit. Focusing was very tricky, a wobbly planet on a wobbly mount. Had to let it settle for three or four seconds between each adjustment or move. However, with some care, I was able to get focused and allow the plate to drift across the fov and get some decent views. The shadow itself was very sharp when seeing allowed, and the bright disk of Ganymede was right alongside, a sure sign we are close to opposition.

Some nice banding showing on the planet but not much detail. Well worth the effort though, it’s been too long since I saw a decent transit.

I was out too Stu and the seeing was similar here in Essex.

The transit was very clear with a sharp shadow and clear lunar disk, wonderful stuff.

About midnight I think the GRS was in view too but it was getting slightly misty here so the seeing went off for a while, in all nice to be out and chilling, the local owl kept me company as it often does, great stuff.

I bet the wobbly mount and seeing made no difference to you Stu, being out was what counted?

2 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I bet the wobbly mount and seeing made no difference to you Stu, being out was what counted?

That’s very true Alan, just great to be out. I actually had some company but they had had a little too much wine to share the views! ;)

I had a lovely blackbird singing away until surprisingly late, plus a large and very nice frog which hopped by :) 

37 minutes ago, Stu said:

I had a lovely blackbird singing away until surprisingly late, plus a large and very nice frog which hopped by :) 

I occasionally get frogs in my garden too. Not that I have a pond, or any kind of water, but if my grass gets too long when I then cut it I have seen frogs emerge unscathed from the cut from within cracks in the ground where they must stay for the moisture (my soil is mostly clay really). 

Got some first images of Jupiter last night, but managed to see the transit very well last night before I got any chance to image Jupiter. By the time I could the transit was over. Still managed some good images of Jupiter though. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived