sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_3.thumb.jpg.30e9b298c34c80517e8b443ce153fce3.jpg

Hi all i have not posted for a while but to be fair I havent really done anything to do with astronomy for almost a year.

The reason I am here is for help please.

So I bought a advance vx mount well over a year ago but only just got it out to try tonight. 

So I set it to north and used the polar scope to align the starts or at least that was the idea. See I look through the polar scope and can not actually see the diagram it's too dark ( it is there of course) I can see the stars but nothing else. ( hope that makes sense ) the other issue I am having is that to look though the polar scope there is a massive handle the raise or lower the scope it's self. So really awkward to get close to the polar scope. But the most important thing is actually seeing the diagram.

Is there anything I can do to assist me with aligning the scope ?? 

Thanks all 

Once your eyes become dark adapted, you will see the etching very faintly... enough to line up on the stars.

The red torch is a good tip too, although be careful no to shine directly down and literally have the bright red light destroy your adaption... shine to the edge and illuminate the etching by light reflecting off the side of the polar scope.

Hi

You can actually use the handset to polar align and to star align (see the Celestron instruction manual for all the details). The adjustment knobs (rear and front) are to adjust the altitude which, of course, should equal your latitude. Similarly, the two knobs either side at the front are for adjusting azimuth = longitude. Whichever way you polar align you will have to adjust all the knobs. Are you intending to do any imaging - or not? What scope do you have?

Louise

• Like 1

I have a sky max 127 scope. I'll dig out the instruction manual and see if I have any more look tonight. 

I will use my DSLR camera to hopefully snap some deep space stuff and see how that goes.

2 hours ago, stedavey123 said:

I have a sky max 127 scope. I'll dig out the instruction manual and see if I have any more look tonight. 

I will use my DSLR camera to hopefully snap some deep space stuff and see how that goes.

I think I'd be inclined to get a different scope for imaging with. At almost f12 and 1500mm the 127 will be a challenge to image dso's - most won't fit in your fov! Good for planets, probably, though. You'll also need a guide scope/guide cam too.

Louise