Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stash_old

Hope Hilodon has not been affected by Volcano/equake

Hopefully Hilodon has not been affected by all the mother nature events in his area - been a bit quiet lately. Guess one of the problems of living in the " Ring of Fire" zone :sad2:

40 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Hopefully Hilodon has been affected by all the mother nature events in his area - been a bit quiet lately. Guess one of the problems of living in the " Ring of Fire" zone :sad2:

"not" missing from post?    :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

"not" missing from post?    :icon_biggrin:

I hope you are correct Peter so have edited this in.

@HiloDon, do check in to let us know you are ok!

Don is just fine.  Chatted with him yesterday.  I am sure he will be back online soon.  Nice of you guys to ask.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, all, for thinking of me.  My wife and I were on the mainland last week, so we missed the big earthquakes.  We had a house sitter and she sent us pictures of all the things that fell on the floor, but there was no serious damage.  All astro equipment survived.  I was torn as to whether I wanted to experience a 6.9 mag quake, but I know my wife would have been terrified.  The biggest we had ever felt before was a 5.2 mag.

We live on Mauna Kea which is an inactive volcano that hasn’t erupted for thousands of years.  The eruptions and lava flow are not far from us (about 30 miles) on Kilauea which is a continually active volcano as see by many around the world who have visited Volcanoes National Park.  We can get some of the smoke called vog depending on the winds, but we are completely safe from the direct impact of the volcano.

The situation with these recent eruptions and flows has been grim because it’s occurring in a populated subdivision.  The area has been evacuated, but over 30 homes have been lost so far.  Thankfully, no lives have been lost thanks to the diligent efforts of our public safety officials.  I’ll post some updates as I get more info. We have a civil defense alert system that I am signed up for that gives regular text message updates.

Don

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Keep the faith Don...

Seeing the pictures of the place again in the news has reminded us of what a wonderful place Big Island is.

Like everyone we hope you all keep safe and that pesky volcano down the road behaves itself.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HiloDon said:

The biggest we had ever felt before was a 5.2 mag

Believe it not we (wife and I ) suffered a 5.2 mag - epicentre just down the road (30miles) from home. I thought initially a plane had crashed (being next to a RAF station - I even phoned the duty officer) - then aliens (ha ha). It did sound and feel like a very heavy train had just gone through the house - scary when our normal ones are just a "bang" which go unnoticed . So I can sympathise with your wife 

Any rate glad all is well.

And again trust Don and others are safe over there. Saw on morning news Kilauea spewed ash 6 miles high this morning.

Howie,

Thanks for the concern.  

Just an update as things have gotten worse at the Kilauea summit and the lower Puna area where a number of fissures are occurring and causing lava flow.  Over 40 structures have been destroyed and the lava has now reached the ocean causing high level of sulfur dioxide gas.  A number of roads in the area are blocked, but civil defense is doing a great job rescuing people and keeping them safe.  So far the ash and smoke generated from all this has not affected Mauna Kea.  In fact, we had an excellent evening Friday and did our live Stargazing show for the big crowd that showed up.  The big ash plume Howie mentioned subsided and there was nothing visible from the VIS on Friday just before sunset.  They are still expecting more explosions, so this thing is far from over.  

Don

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the update Don.

Keep on keeping safe! :) 

• Like 1

Keep us updated, Don. I'm glad you and your family are safe :) 

Here's the latest update from HVO:

As of 7:30 AM HST overflight, lava was about 430 yards from the ocean between Kapoho Beach Road and Kapoho Kai Drive.

Looks like the Kapoho tidepools are about to get inundated.

Thanks for the concern, everyone.

The latest situation in lower Puna on the Big Island is very bad.  The whole eastern area of Kopoho Point is cut off by the lava.  It is a mandatory evacuation area, but some have decided to stay.  They had to rescue four people by air yesterday.  The lava has reached Kopoho Bay this morning.  There is no electricity, water or cell service available in the area.  There are hundreds of homes in Vacationland and Kopoho Beach Lots that are in the potential path of the lava flow which has widen out to about a half mile.  Here is a USGS map of the lava flow late yesterday morning.

F7DA08F4-8185-43D7-B68F-8BAA4481D654.jpeg.535a3fd0632feef1aba196efadac2f4b.jpeg

We have not been affected by any of this activity yet.  We live near the coast about 25 miles north of Kopoho Point on Mauna Kea.  We can see the point in the distance from our lanai on the second floor.  At night we can see the glow from the active lava.  The winds have been in a favorable direction for us, but I understand that the Kona side is being affected by the fumes.

Don

• Like 2

Keep safe,, and hopefully as much aid as possible reaches your country

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Don and glad you and yours are all ok. Thoughts go to everyone affected especially those losing their homes.

My girlfriend and I follow the USGS YouTube updates daily (I look probably a lot more than that) we still can't believe that only last August we spent the day walking around Volcano Park and lunching in the Volcano house restaurant. Big Island people are amazing hosts, let's hope it all calms down as quickly as it came for them.

Keep the Faith Don and get back up the VIS if you can fella!!

Thanks, Pat.

We are going to try broadcasting tonight on NSN.  Should be on about 7:45 HST.  

Don

• Like 1

Don’t worry, Pat.  I was using my new AP1100 Mount for the first time and forgot to pack the CW shaft.  Had to cancel even though it was a near perfect night.  We’ll try again next Monday night.

Don

• Like 1

Wow thats a nice mount Don... and a long trip up to come down empty handed ?

I've put it in the diary!

Keep Safe

Hi All,

Thought I would give an update on things here on the Big Island.  The volcano rages on and has destroyed hundreds of homes.  It continues feeding a river of lava eight miles long to the southeastern point shoreline creating new land.  The flow from the fissure is over 25,000 gallons per second.  It’s hard to imagine.

So far we have not been affected from the noxious fumes from the main crater at the summit or the extremely toxic gas produced from the lava entering the ocean.  The winds have been very favorable for us, but some of the other parts of the Island have had significant vog.

Last night was finally clear here at my home observatory, so it gave me a chance to test out some new equipment.  Here are a few captures I got with the SX Ultrastar C and Starlight Live.  Scope was a C1100HD at f/5.  I included a shot of the volcano area as seen from my observatory.C22605D0-DFC7-418A-A7EA-873710B7AABB.thumb.jpeg.abb8f277ed4cb630a2a8ba111b634b43.jpeg9D91381B-5988-4C8B-9D8A-96381EF9CB14.thumb.jpeg.10901422d8610e2808775acc984c3c08.jpeg3077DC35-1FAB-4645-99C0-E14764078768.thumb.jpeg.e8c473ebd33b2c072527f3c6157c282f.jpegDCC9F82C-B72E-4263-AB8C-79AF5252D773.thumb.jpeg.d930ea197d5cd385b3fa69275d9095b7.jpeg

• Like 8

Amazed you can see anything at all through all that dust etc.

Very good.  

Carole 

As always amazing pictures Don,

I get my daily USGS YouTube updates... It's incredible the activity of Fissure 8 and how it's changing the south east of the island. Nature is so powerful! We were blessed to see the park last August before this activity.

As always our thoughts are with those who have lost their homes and been disrupted anyhow. Gotta say though Don you have to admire you guys out there and the way you seem to be dealing with it all. The one quote from a local man on TV summed it up for me when he said with a smile 'We live on a volcano what can you expect' he may have just lost his home!

Keep up the great work with the pics, you've inspired me to take a leap and I have my finger on the button to buy a ZWO camera very shortly ?

• Like 1