Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter , there's more !

Lightish sky , but Jupiter eventually climbed to a useful position. Even at low power I could see the shadow of Europa. As this reached the limb, the small and very bright moon was easy to see beneath the shadow. A few minutes later it popped out clear of the limb. Seeing was not bad , with some belt and polar details seen.

Best thing to do is focus on the surface and just leave the focus and let the views arrive. It's a waste to keep fiddling. I used an aperture mask , a x2 Barlowed 13mm Nagler (giving x150)and later a polarising filter. Best views were about 2.10 before it entered the blasted oak tree down the road. 

Looking around and the whole Summer Triangle was up, not much joy for deep sky with a bright sky. Checked out the Messier's and headed for some brighter planetaries. It's lovely to see these as non stellar in wide field, catching some open clusters. Opposition on the 9th May , spend a little time out there , under

IMG_5699.thumb.JPG.5bb919abc9a89e8fc3b5b1ef0e592e2c.JPGIMG_5700.thumb.JPG.a5b8c9d8186b92d6f4d00774a580128e.JPG,clear skies,Nick.

Another good 'un Nick!  I was out a bit too late (after 3am) with the frac - wasn't too sure about a Sagittarian double I targeted.  Saturn look nice, then a low Moon came out from behind a house, with Mars not far behind.  Soon after, there was nothing on show except those three.  But the blackbirds were singing beautifully, and the wood pigeons were - well, trying to join in!

Doug.

Archived