Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nice Europa shadow transit Just now..

Fozzie

All is quiet, the wife, toddler and new born are silent.. even quieter than my vixen GP motors which is saying something.. Jupiter's up in  the south, and I'm hoping to last it through to Saturn and mars later on.. just spent the last hour or so watching Europa pass on to the jovian disk and throw it's shadow.. seeing not Great, can make out 4 bands and the polar regions in times of steady air.. all in all.. a pleasant evening!

Anyone else out!?

Ta

fozzie 

Yes I have just popped in to get some refreshment.

As you say seeing is a bit varible, but I would say better than last night at Jupiter altitude though hazier overhead as my DSO image is suffering more tonight.

Hope to pass on an image of said transit later this weekend.

Yes I was out been out since about 21:30 and only just packed away. The dew finally got to my telescopes. Think my eye has got to tired as well. I did see Europa enter the disc and see it emerge the other side. Couldn't see the shadow though. But then most of the night I used my Skylight 60mm. See is definitely better tonight than last night. 

It was a good one, considering the altitude, I think!

When I got the focus spot on, the shadow was a pin sharp little spot moving across the disk, which had a superb amount of detail, compared with other occasions recently. Still a lot of seeing wobbles though.

Chris

7 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Nope. Thought about it but I’m doing some research for a talk this evening. 

There’s a good week ahead for Jupiter though. Opposition, a fair few transits too. And me with a week off from Wednesday. ?

Week off sounds nice.. just finishing my two week paternity, which is not the most conductive time for late night gazing.. just what you don't need more sleepless nights of my own doing! 

Enjoy that week John.

1 hour ago, chiltonstar said:

It was a good one, considering the altitude, I think!

When I got the focus spot on, the shadow was a pin sharp little spot moving across the disk, which had a superb amount of detail, compared with other occasions recently. Still a lot of seeing wobbles though.

Chris

Yeah in those calmer better seeing moments quite a lot of detal came through.. I do like shadow transits..

I decided to have a look last night too. I don't get much luck though with planets as I work 12hr shifts so usually when we have nice clear nights I'm working and the great British weather will be cloudy when I'm off. Last night was a rare occasion when I was off, the sky was clear and we had Jupiter visible. I'm up in North Derbyshire so it was low but not too low in the sky and the atmosphere was causing the focus to be in and out, it didn't help that I was looking over roof tops!

Had some really nice views, I still have the OMG! moments when looking. I saw the several bands easily and a few of the thinner ones too. Then I saw the spot, immediately though 'oh the GRS!' as time went on I thought it would have been bigger and more red. Looked at Sky Safari and saw that Europa was in transit and then the penny dropped it was Europa's shadow! Spend a few hours just watching it slowly move across, here I was sat in the back garden looking at another moon's shadow on another planet.

Lovely reports there, feel like I should have made the effort now. There is nothing quite as relaxing as being out there watching something so amazing!

Archived