Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Matteo

M87 galaxy with the relativistic jet fired from the super massive black hole 27/02/2017 01:19

M87 galaxy with the relativistic jet fired from the super massive black hole 27/02/2017 01:19
(55.000.000 light years)

GSO 0.20 m 
Sky-Watcher NEQ-5 Pro SynScan mount
QHY5L-IIC + IR cut filter
f: 1000 mm
f/5

Matteo Vacca Milis, Italy http://vaccamatteo.weebly.com/ https://www.astrobin.com/users/matteovacca/

M87 galaxy with the relativistic jet fired from the super massive black hole 27022017 0119 2.jpg

Edited by Matteo
  • Like 4

That's very impressive Matteo, nicely presented 

Thank you very much! It's one of my favourite object in the sky, very interesting in the theoretical study and in the astronomical observation.

I didn’t know it was possible to capture with amateur kit. Great image.

• Like 1

Thank you very much!

Edited by Matteo

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By eshy76
      Hi everyone,

This is Markarian's Chain shot from my back garden over three nights in late March. Probably the deepest single image I've taken in terms of integration time...which leaves me feeling my processing is not quite doing the data justice...maybe I'll come back to it.
      In any case, this is an incredible part of space; looking away from our galaxy reveals countless others!
      The crazy number of Lum subs took a whole day for APP to chug through and so I've resolved to lower the gain from unity going forwards to get more manageable sub lengths than 15 seconds!

L: 1050 (!) x 15s R: 92 x 60s G: 165 x 30s B 165 x 30s....total integration time 8.2 hours.
      Captured using APT, stacked in APP and processed in Pixinsight.
      Thanks for looking!

Edit: Link to higher res version

• By Sunshine
      I have a question, imagine a Galaxy with a supermassive black hole smack in the middle, with a mass of a billion suns, devowering stars at an incredible rate and relatively growing as it consumes stars.
      A black hole that large in the center of our galaxy, “Sagittarius A” it’s location is believed to be, in the densest part of our galaxy (I mean concentration and proximity of stars) would be swallowing up stars at an enormous rate would it not?.
      Astronomers say it is possible that all, most, many? Galaxies have a supermassive black hole at their cores, let’s assume this is fact, eventually an entire galaxy can be consumed by a black hole that size. The more it consumes, the greater it’s gravitational pull, it eventually grows exponentially until the whole galaxy is snuffed out?.
      Having said that, there surely must be examples somewhere of galaxies in the process of being swallowed up, in their final death throws, the remnants of spiral arms and the few millions of stars left on their final plunge into blackness and infinite, invisible density. 
      Or,  supermassive black holes may well be a relatively new phase in a galaxies life cycle? are we living at the point where these gargantuan black holes are coming into existence, and maybe it will be billions of years more before galaxies begin to fall prey to their own black holes?. Are there any examples of galaxies much older than ours where evidence shows they are being consumed slowly?
      Something as massive, and destructive, as a black hole with a billion star mass, smack in the middle of a galaxies densest region must eventually become a runaway, growing exponentially and consume an entire galaxy, would it not?. Is it possible that our present stelliferous age will meet its end by way of ever expanding black holes?. 
      I would love to hear your thoughts!

• By Kezzba
      Hi, im Kez and have heaps of questions about a hypothesis I came up with hopeing some one will help with some of these and educate me a lot.
      What math would I nerd to learn to try to calculate the size of a black hole with a mass several times that of earth? 
      If a small black hole were stationary relative to the sun close to our solar system would the orbit of earth be likely to create an eclipse with a distant star and if so at what frequency and would current technology be able to conclusively measure an observation? Also what math do I need to figure this out? 
      Anyone know anyone doing work on this or if it was previously hypothesised? Disproved? 
      Anyone with anything that may educate me on this topic would be awesome and even general comments, thoughts, I'm a real noob but genuine interest in astrophysics, quantum physics heaps of stuff. Any knowledgeable contacts for discussion. Cheers!!!! 

All
    • By wimvb
      NGC 4051 is a spiral Sifert galaxy in the constellation Ursa Major, at about 48 Mly from earth. It covers about 5 x 4 arcminutes of the night sky The core of this galaxy contains a supermassive black hole.
      Data from the Liverpool Telescope, La Palma (2 m aperture and 0.28 "/pixel resolution)

• By alanjgreen
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38937141 says " There is optimism that observations to be conducted during 5-14 April could finally deliver the long-sought prize. "
      But its full moon and now cloud will have been ordered

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.