Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Evoguide 50ED and Lodestar?

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Skywatcher Evoguide 50ED to use as a small guide scope with my Lodestar 2 guide camera.  In order to reduce the risk of flexure. I always like to attach cameras using a threaded connector rather than a push fit.  So, before biting the bullet I want to make sure of one thing.  Can I screw the Lodestar into the rear of the Evoguide using a T thread to C thread adaptor and get the camera to focus?

Edited by michaelmorris

I've never had any problems with the normal push fit, what I did have problems with was the rubbish helical focuser on the AA 60mm guide scope so had to screw the focuser right in so it locked then adjust the Loadstar using a parfocal ring, the actual camera ends up inserted a good 60mm into the focuser using a 40mm T extension so no chance of flexure.

Hopefully the helical focuser on the SW is better quality.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi...

A little late, but I have just tried the combo Skywatcher Evoguide 50ED and Lodestar X2. Since it is overcast I did the focusing on a radio tower 8km away.

I have extended the 1.25”-holder an extra 33mm to get in focus and the Lodestar is inserted 30mm into the holder. The total length of the guide scope, including the Lodestar, is 360mm. The push fit seems good enough, but since the 1.25"-holder has a T-thread, one should be able to use a T-  to C-thread adaptor to fit the Lodestar, instead of using the three locking screws.

/anders

DSCF9616_cr.jpg.df222ffcc46a7a69e91a53407025aa38.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 13/09/2018 at 21:47, boefst said:

Hi...

A little late, but I have just tried the combo Skywatcher Evoguide 50ED and Lodestar X2. Since it is overcast I did the focusing on a radio tower 8km away.

I have extended the 1.25”-holder an extra 33mm to get in focus and the Lodestar is inserted 30mm into the holder. The total length of the guide scope, including the Lodestar, is 360mm. The push fit seems good enough, but since the 1.25"-holder has a T-thread, one should be able to use a T-  to C-thread adaptor to fit the Lodestar, instead of using the three locking screws.

/anders

DSCF9616_cr.jpg.df222ffcc46a7a69e91a53407025aa38.jpg

Where might I obtain some extension tubes of the type shown here as 18mm & 15mm?  I don’t know what to search for.