Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi all  last night I was lucky enough to image V392...which has gone a bit explodey and is now known as Nova Persei 2018.

Discovered on April 29th....it's now bright enough to be seen with binos...but is on the decline.

IMG_20180503_084100.jpg

I spotted this a few days ago (evening of May 1), and estimated it at mag 8.5, quite a bit down from 6.2 reported for April 30. I have seen it reported at 8.4 just now, so it might plateau. It might be an interesting target for using a UHC filter, as much of the flux coming from it is currently in emission lines like H-alpha

2 hours ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

Thanks for this...  :thumbsup:

I was observing this last night firstly with my 25x100s on the parallelogram and later handheld with the 16x70s. Reassuring to see I was looking at the right object !! :laugh2:

No worries!!! :) i used platesolving to get to my target so rest assured we definitely got ourselves a nova!

2 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I spotted this a few days ago (evening of May 1), and estimated it at mag 8.5, quite a bit down from 6.2 reported for April 30. I have seen it reported at 8.4 just now, so it might plateau. It might be an interesting target for using a UHC filter, as much of the flux coming from it is currently in emission lines like H-alpha

i wish i had a UHC...all  i have is my CLS filter :(

Archived