Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ES 152mm David H. Levy Comet Hunter

If anyone read the review of this telescope by Ade Ashford in the current edition of Astronomy Now they might have been tempted to sell the children into chimney-sweeping and go out and buy one.  I thought it was a bridge too far for me until I received a newsletter from Bresser in Germany where I have an account.  I always check the stock they have in their ex-display and discontinued sections and was astonished to find one of these marvellous 'scopes priced down from 999€ to 750€ with about €7 delivery to my address in France.  When I've bought ex-display stuff before from Bresser it has come in unopened packaging so I don't expect to find anything other than a pristine 'scope when it arrives.  An American reviewer says it works perfectly on his AVX mount - just the ticket for me.  I don't know how many "ex-display" they might have left but if you want one of these 'scopes you might check their German website.  My next purchase was going to be the ES 12" Ultra-light Dob but I think that's faded into the distance now.

In AstroBuySell I notice Ade Ashford is selling a 6" Mak-Newt, I guess because he wants to keep the Comet Hunter.  I hope this is of interest.

I'm really pleased to hear that from a user as it confirms what I've already read.  I'm in UK at present so the 'scope is being delivered to a friend in France who is honour bound not to open the packages until I get there.  I should get my hands on it in about two weeks when I hope to be able to give a first light report.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my first opportunity to use the 'scope tonight.  Views of the moon and Jupiter as good as any I've seen before but earthshine on the mon definitely the best.  7mm view of Jupiter also excellent.  I was using the AVX manually thinking I wouldn't have time to set up properly before clouds rolled in but a fleeting glimpse though an 8mm Baader modular with both tuning rings made me wish I'd taken the trouble.

Anyone interested may like to know the included eyepiece is a 2" 28mm ES argon purged item which retails at about £160.  The finder is erect image with a built in illuminated reticle and can be adapted to focus to your eye.  Being severly myopic I've always found it a nuisance using my glasses at the finder and naked eye at the eyepiece.  This is without doubt a quality finder which would cost twice the price of a normal job.  The focusing mechanism is superb.

I won't write a review.  Ade Ashford did a three-page review in Astronomy Now and I agree with everything he said, positive and negative.  I bought it at a bargain price of €750 but just discovered today that Bresser in Germany have dropped the price again to €500.  I'm a bit cross with myself for being too hasty but feel obliged to pass it on.  As the EP, finder and focuser are worth half Bresser's asking price it looks like a real bargain.

Archived