SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Io plus shadow, and GRS, this evening

If the weather forecasts are correct, the sky will be clear in many parts this evening.

From 21:30, Io plus its shadow (very close to each other) and the GRS will transit together. The best time will be about 22:30, when Jupiter will be about 12 degrees above the horizon.

SkySafari graphic attached:-

Chris

Screenshot_2018-05-02-12-37-05.png

37 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Nice heads up. 

Might catch the tail end weather permitting. 

I love the moon transits near to opposition where the moon and shadow are so close you can often spot the moon, where there is enough contrast.

Chris

15 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

I love the moon transits near to opposition where the moon and shadow are so close you can often spot the moon, where there is enough contrast.

Chris

Totally agree. It’s a lovely reminder of the mechanics of the solar system and the relationship between sun, Galilean moon and Jupiter. Have seen, at least once, the shadow as a crescent with the moon partly covering it, very nice.

Will give this a go tonight. For those interested in such events there is another in a week (9th May) when Io is actually due to cover its own shadow (as mentioned by Stu) because it also Jupiter opposition on that day 

38 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

Will give this a go tonight. For those interested in such events there is another in a week (9th May) when Io is actually due to cover its own shadow (as mentioned by Stu) because it also Jupiter opposition on that day 

Interesting.  I've seen the shadow once a day or so after opposition as a vertical bar on the "wrong" side of Jupiter. Let us hope for some nice clear nights now we are into May! .

Chris

26 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well, I’m setup but I’m doubtful that Jupiter will clear the house in time :( 

Me too, my neighbours house with the curtains open and lights all on is well and truly in the way :( I've come in for now and I'll try again in an hour!

Have fun to those that can see it :) 

The seeing wasn’t great but managed to get this. The GRS  was much easier to spot than the shadow. The shadow appeared 2 or 3 times when the seeing steadied. Nowhere near as clear as the shadow I saw a couple of months ago. Still enjoyed it though. Many thanks for the heads up :D 

Just now, Littleguy80 said:

The seeing wasn’t great but managed to get this. The GRS  was much easier to spot than the shadow. The shadow appeared 2 or 3 times when the seeing steadied. Nowhere near as clear as the shadow I saw a couple of months ago. Still enjoyed it though. Many thanks for the heads up :D 

Yes, GRS clear, but the shadow more difficult. Looked better in my ED80 than my small Mak because of the poor seeing.

Chris

I had a go at imaging Jupiter last night for the first time with my guide camera. Didn't look great tbh but I've only recorded a couple of minutes worth. Haven't tried to stack any frames but will give it a go later. Was around midnight so would have missed this anyway.

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

I had a go at imaging Jupiter last night

Me too, it was wobbling all over the place and I was too late anyway by the time it rose above my neighbours shed. I very much doubt I'll have anything to show. 

Archived