Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

M38 - starfish open cluster , also NGC1907

multiple 90s exposures at Iso 800. total exposure time approx 29 mins. Taken on 19/04/18 from my back garden in Birmingham

Darks and flats applied. 

Stacked with DSS, processed in Pixinsight and startools - as I still have no idea what i'm doing with PixInsight haha :D

Telescope: SW ED80 DS pro

Mount: HEQ5 pro - rowan modded

Camera : Canon 200D - CLS filter

final.png

Edited by StaceStar
  • Like 3

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rotatux
      M38 - The starfish cluster
      Initially taken as a check to see what I could have from Paris' suburbs heavy LP skies for a star cluster, considering that kind of object should be easier than nebula or galaxies in that kind of sky. Turned OK but I still have difficulty recognizing the starfish shape when zoomed in, I need to zoom out quite a lot for the shape to become obvious.
      Gear: Olympus E-PL6 on Skywatcher 130PDS 632mm/4.86 at F/4.55 with SW Coma corrector and Didymium filter on Celestron Nexstar SLT.
      Capture: 12 lights x 20s x 1600iso, master bias and (synthetic) flat.
      Software: Regim 3.4, Fotoxx 12.01+
      Site: 20km from Paris France; Clear sky, relatively good seeing, SQM 16..17

• By James
      I did a quick (7 subs) image of the region around the Flaming Star Nebula and posted it...
      ... but I knew a few more subs would really help. I managed to get some over the last couple of nights. Both nights were a little murky but they were largely clear so I shouldn't complain..
      This is a great region of the sky with loads of Ha objects, clusters, odd bits of nebulosity and so on and doing a slightly more widefield image allows me to capture more than one type of image at a time (value for money and all that!).
      Using a modified Canon 650D through a Borg 55FL f/3.6 scope and an IDAS HEUIBB filter, 30x  200 secs (guided) here's a reworked version as there's so many objects in there I thought I'd put an annotated copy in there two (manually - can't figure out the Pixinsight way to do it...).
      It's not perfect... there's artefacts in there  caused by me stacking (and keeping) some subs that were taken at an angle to the rest..a practiced eye should be able to see that  Actually, an unpractised eye probably can too  I really must learn how to put pictures up here that don't get brutally jpeggerised...
      Oops - nearly forgot - does anyone know what the object at the top left is..? (The little red smudge...)

• By James
      I debated posting this in the deep sky section but figured I'd go for widefield as it is indeed rather widefield...
      Only a limited number of subs captured during a clear spell at the recent Kielder Star Party - here's a chunk of Auriga with the Flame Nebula at the top and M38 at the bottom left with a variety of other objects in between. It's a work in progress in that as soon as I can get a lot more subs I'll do so to really try and pull out the nebulosity in it...it'll take a while for me to identify all the objects (there's something at the top left that I'm curious about).
      Captured using a modified Canon 650D through a Borg 55 f/3.6 scope (focal length 200mm). I used one of their new QRO filters, the HEUIBII version, an upgrade to the 'standard' IDAS which has a filter cell designed to minimise reflections which I'd had on some of my earlier images - I think it's worked well!!
      I'm desperate to capture more subs for this one as I think there's promise in there, there's a considerable amount of nebulosity across a big part of the field of view but there's only seven subs in there, 5 from Kielder and 2 from home, 200 seconds each. I've used Pixinsight to process and have very slightly clipped the black end during processing to try and control the noise that more subs will deal with...
      James

• By spaceman_spiff
      My Second image of 2016 showing M38 (the Starfish cluster) and NGC 1907. I have added extra subs to the previous attempt.

Hardware details:

Camera: Nikon D200

Telescope: SW Evostar 120 with Baader contrast booster.

Mount: AZ-EQ6 guided using a ST80 synguider.

Image details:

Lights: 28 x 3min at ISO 800

Darks: 30 x 3min at ISO 800

Lights and darks separated by 1 min intervals

Flats: 30 x 1/40s at ISO 800

Bias: 30 x 1/8000 at ISO 100

Date of capture 14/01/2016

Conditions:

Very clear sky with no cloud. Seeing was good, the guiding was quite stable. Cold and dry.

• By spaceman_spiff
      My first image of 2016 showing M38 (the Starfish cluster) and NGC 1907!

Hardware details:
      Camera: Nikon D200
      Telescope: SW Evostar 120 with Baader contrast booster.
      Mount: AZ-EQ6 guided using a ST80 synguider.

Image details:
      Lights: 8 x 3min at ISO 800
      Darks: 30 x 3min at ISO 800
      Flats: 30 x 1/40s at ISO 800
      Bias: 30 x 1/8000 at ISO 100
      Date of capture 08/01/2016

Conditions:
      Overall clear sky with some patchy cloud (interrupting my auto guiding!). Damp, seeing was good IMO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.