Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Cosmic Geoff

Registax not performing

Early this morning (1 May) I imaged Jupiter, Saturn & Mars with my C8. (Celestron C8 SE, ASI120MC, ADC).

When I tried processing the image videos, at the 'wavelet' stage in Registax6, Registax would not improve the blurred image at all on the Jupiter and Saturn images.  (0.100 sharpen, 100%) I have had this happen before and put it down to poor seeing and poor raw images. The raw images here looked rather blurry.

However the Mars images, taken under the same conditions, turned out quite well, with a fairly sharp planetary edge and a real-looking dark patch.  Not bad considering the small size (about 10") and the low altitude (about 10 deg) and the indifferent seeing.

Can more experienced imagers suggest the problem with the Jupiter and Saturn imaging? All three planets were imaged within an hour, with a 1000 frame .ser video (converted to .avi with PIPP because Registax did not accept the .ser files) and processed in Registax6.   Initally I focused on a Jupiter moon, and I refocused for Mars on Altair, at which point the focus seemed close.

UPDATE: I tried processing again with different settings, and got the Saturn images up to the standard of my previous efforts.  The Jupiter images improved, but remained poor, showing just the two principal cloud belts (but it was low when imaged).

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
Re-processing.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cosmic Geoff
      Night of 12-13 June. I had not had a go at Saturn and Mars for some time, so set up the C8 to image them.  Kit: Celestron C8 SE SLT, ASI120MC, ADC.  Seeing: initially poor but improving through night.
      The Jupiter images were unexceptional, but the Saturn ones resolve the Cassini division well (compared with my earlier efforts). The rings look odd - I wonder if this is the conjunction brightening I have read about?
      Mars was very low when imaged at around 2am BST. I packed up because I was tired and cloud cover was forecast. I still got some surface detail.

• By Cosmic Geoff
      Got some images of the Europa transit, with C8, ASI120MC, ADC. Processed in Registax6.
      Also two other moons.
       I don't see colour in this image at all, either to the eye or in the histograms. It was recorded as a RAW16 .ser file, which I thought would be colour (and Registax gives it a tick for colour). I wondered if I had goofed somewhere.  So tried turning up the colour saturation (2nd image).

• By RolandKol
      Hi Guys,
      I know, 130PDS is not the right tool for Planetary AP, - but "you use what you have, don't you?"
      I wonder if someone has managed to get decent or maybe even amazing pics of our neighbour planets with 130PDS?
      Please be free to share you planetary pics below and share your knowledge with others in this field.

I tried on Jupiter several times with and without barlow and
      the results were very... I mean, VERY bad  I even afraid to show them  
      but till last night,
      As I managed to get something recognizable as a Jupiter  
      at last

I am still a beginner and my first 2 cents below.
      130PDS, ZWO ASI224MC, 3xBarlow, SharpCap Gain=400

• By Cosmic Geoff
      This morning I set out to get some images of Mars and Saturn, having got a good result with Jupiter a few nights ago. It turned out to be one of those occasions when almost everything seemed to go wrong.   I struggled for ages in the dark to get the 8SE mount attached to the tripod (it has some white stickers on it now), the solar system align turned out to be inaccurate, and the laptop kept crashing.  It became a race to get some result  before daylight intervened.  I aimed at Jupiter, and tried out Sharpcap's exposure histogram before turning to Saturn.  The focus would not come good (as the stacked images confirm) so I switched to Mars, with the result shown below.  The dark smudge appears in all six videos and seems to match the position of Syrtis Major.
      The Mars result looks encouraging, considering that it will be twice this apparent size at opposition. The altitude of Mars was about 10 deg.
      Equipment: C8 SE, ASI120MC, ADC, processed in Registax6

• By Cosmic Geoff
      I took the image below on the morning of 23 April using: Celestron C8, ASI120MC camera, ADC.
      It shows more detail of the belts than my previous efforts, but while processing I thought that the image seemed on the dim side. I had set the exposure for maximum apparent contrast on the raw live image.  I think there is some histogram thing in Smartcap for this but it's hard to recollect that sort of thing when out in the dark. Ditto the focus - I adjusted for what looked sharpest and hoped for the best.
      Also the ADC - I tried it out on Venus a few hours earlier with a different telescope and dropped it into the C8 with the same setting (and the same way up). Absence of fringes looked okay so I left it like that.  Is there some 'best' way of setting it?
      BTW I have calculated the angular sizes of Jupiter's principal moons and got results of 2" or 3" of arc. So they should resolve with good equipment. Right?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.