Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Registax not performing

Early this morning (1 May) I imaged Jupiter, Saturn & Mars with my C8. (Celestron C8 SE, ASI120MC, ADC).

When I tried processing the image videos, at the 'wavelet' stage in Registax6, Registax would not improve the blurred image at all on the Jupiter and Saturn images.  (0.100 sharpen, 100%) I have had this happen before and put it down to poor seeing and poor raw images. The raw images here looked rather blurry.

However the Mars images, taken under the same conditions, turned out quite well, with a fairly sharp planetary edge and a real-looking dark patch.  Not bad considering the small size (about 10") and the low altitude (about 10 deg) and the indifferent seeing.

Can more experienced imagers suggest the problem with the Jupiter and Saturn imaging? All three planets were imaged within an hour, with a 1000 frame .ser video (converted to .avi with PIPP because Registax did not accept the .ser files) and processed in Registax6.   Initally I focused on a Jupiter moon, and I refocused for Mars on Altair, at which point the focus seemed close.

UPDATE: I tried processing again with different settings, and got the Saturn images up to the standard of my previous efforts.  The Jupiter images improved, but remained poor, showing just the two principal cloud belts (but it was low when imaged).

Archived