SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observatory paint

Skipper Billy

My observatory is having its annual strip out, clean and paint.

I have painted all the inside surfaces with Dulux Easycare Washable and Tough emulsion in Matt Black

Its great !

Fantastic covering power - dry in 30 mins - clean up in water.

It really is tough - I have scrubbed it with a Scotchbrite pad and it stays put. 

Sticks really well.

£20 for 2.5 litres so not madly expensive.

Just need to figure out how to get it off my glasses !!!!

Thanks for the information, very helpful and timely. One of my spring tidy up jobs is to repaint the inside of my observatory. I last did it about 5 years ago and used a matt black exterior paint, which was good but took an age to dry. I'll give this stuff a go for the repaint.

17 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Just need to figure out how to get it off my glasses !!!!

It really is tough - I have scrubbed it with a Scotchbrite pad and it stays put. 

I think you answered your own question Billy, you need new glasses!

5 hours ago, Alan White said:

I think you answered your own question Billy, you need new glasses!

What I would REALLY like is new eyes !!! Reading glasses were a major disappointment but now another pair for long distance and bifocals for driving !!:happy6:

Wait for a couple of years and you'll need three pairs of reading glasses.

One pair for the computer, one pair for normal reading and another pair for reading sub-micro-text contents labels on everyday products.

If, like me, you have fine manual hobbies then a fourth pair may be considered essential.

I put the sticky correction power labels on the earpieces but need a fifth pair for reading those. :rolleyes2:

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of bifocals for "normal" use and a pair of varifocals that are specifically designed for work (so they're ok for reading and using a monitor, but distance vision is rubbish).  I also have a pair for visual telescope use that just correct the slight astigmatism that I have (so slight that I didn't even know I had it for almost fifty years).

I usually use pair #1 for reading or watching television, but need pair #2 for using a laptop and can see more than well enough to drive without any of them.

My optician informs me that by my mid-fifties my eyesight is likely to settle down again which is quite nice as deteriorating eyesight has perhaps been the most obvious, unpleasant and irritating reminder of advancing age.

I don't have enough of an obsy to paint yet, but most of the inside of the beer shack is painted with an exterior paint that contains an anti-mould additive.  That has been brilliant.  The difference between the small areas painted with "normal" paint (where I ran out of the anti-mould stuff) is quite surprising.  I gather the like of Screwfix sell the anti-mould stuff as an additive now, so I may well use that when I have advanced the obsy to the point where it requires painting.

James

For anyone considering painting the outside of their observatory (fibreglass dome) I can recommend MSP (multi surface paint) available from Promain. I have used this and it is very easy to apply, looks great, and is long lasting. Available in a variety of colours.

Archived