SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet C/2016 M1 (PANSTARRS)

First image I took of the C/2016 M1 (PANSTARRS), this comet will reach its maximum brightness on next June when it could be observable visually through small telescopes or giant binoculars. In this image taken on April 24, 2018 can be seen a faint greenish coma wich has grown until a diameter of 6 arcminutes, al same time appears certain dust emission toward northwest (to up right).

2016M1_180424_small.jpg

Data and link to image: http://cometografia.es/2016m1-panstarrs-20180424/

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/4/2018 at 16:59, JAO said:

Very nice image many thanks for posting, was it taken using a scope at New Mexico Skies?

This of April 24, yes.
But my last image of May 13 was taken from Sierra Enguera from Valencia - Spain, with my own equipment.
Thanks.

Comet C/2016 M1 (PANSTARRS) continue increasing brightness and size, such as can be observed in this image on May 13th 2018. Its evolution is clear if we compare with my previous image taken three weeks ago, its greenish coma grew from 6 to 8 arcminutes of apparent diameter while its brightness has increased from magnitude 10.5 to 9.5. 

2016M1_180513_small.jpg

Data and link to image: http://cometografia.es/2016m1-panstarrs-20180513/

• 4 weeks later...

A stunning effort Pepe. What focal length and camera did you use for your image. Also do you recomend a particular length of exposure? I am hoping to image it this month.

Thanks

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2018 at 00:09, Ryan_86 said:

A stunning effort Pepe. What focal length and camera did you use for your image. Also do you recomend a particular length of exposure? I am hoping to image it this month.

Thanks

Ryan

Hello Ryan, I'm sorry for delay ... I think now this is too much low in the sky for northern observers. Anyway these images were taken with 800mm. focal lenght and f/4 using an Atik 383L +, the exposures for comets must be only of few minutes for avoid comet movement depending of its size and velocity (if you do not like make complex and dubious stacking technics).

Regards ;)

Comet C/2016 M1 (PANSTARRS) photographed on June 21, 2018 over a thousand stars background of Milky Way in Corona Australis constellation. With a brightness of magnitude 8.5 the comet is now at maximum approaching to Earth (1.3 A.U., about 500 times the distance to the Moon) and is observable through binoculars from dark places (below latitude 20°N). In this image the comet shows a greenish coma with a diameter of 10 arcminutes and a tail of half degree lenght.

2016M1_180621_small.jpg

Telescope Planewave 20" CDK f/4.4 & Camera FLI PL09000.
9 min. total exposure. Non-composite stacking.
Remotely from Siding Spring, NSW (Australia).

http://cometografia.es/2016m1-panstarrs-20180621/

Archived