Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

iv decided a telescope but need advise on a filter

Hi all i put a post up asking about a scope and mount i am going to get the Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED DS Pro

now this will be used with my nikon d5300 here is where the problem starts with nikon you cannot get the cls clip in filters for nikon for some stupid reason now my camera is not modded so i need a ha or pollution filter how do i go about this please?... cheers

Is your light pollution from old orange glow style street lamps or new LED style ones?  The latter can be a real pain to filter out because they emit from a large range of the spectrum from what I gather.  

I'm in the same predicament but I'm 3 on the Bortal scale.  I'm reluctant to fork out big money on one of the IDAS filters if its not designed for the light pollution I have.  I may go down the narrowband filter path which you may want to seriously consider in the future, especially as your light pollution looks quite bad.  I'd be interested to hear what more experienced imagers think.

If your LP is mostly LED then you're a bit stuck. IDAS do a new D2 filter, supposedly to cut out the worst of the LED LP, but it's expensive, and only available in a screw-in size and unmounted for a filter wheel.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/idas-filters/idas-d2-light-pollution-suppression-filter.html

Whether the 48mm will screw in before your camera I don't know.

22 hours ago, scitmon said:

I'm in the same predicament but I'm 3 on the Bortal scale.  I'm reluctant to fork out big money on one of the IDAS filters if its not designed for the light pollution I have.  I may go down the narrowband filter path which you may want to seriously consider in the future, especially as your light pollution looks quite bad.  I'd be interested to hear what more experienced imagers think.

If you have Bortle 3 skies count yourself lucky. You really wouldn't want to be imaging under the Bortle 8 skies I have, and you probably don't need LP filters. In your case, going NB would be a choice made by the target, not forced on you by the LP.

I still see an orangey glow in my skies, which makes me wonder how much a filter would help.  I'm certainly not willing to take a £180 punt on it at this point anyway.

Archived