Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bright nova in Perseus

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have HR 1482 now. I’m trying to work out which star that is I’m the picture to get relative position to the Nova. Hats off to those that have found this already, it’s quite tricky based on my attempts thus far!

6 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I have HR 1482 now. I’m trying to work out which star that is I’m the picture to get relative position to the Nova. Hats off to those that have found this already, it’s quite tricky based on my attempts thus far!

You're in the right ballpark. HR 1482 is the easternmost of a nice parallelogram of 6th, 7th mag stars about half a degree square. The Nova is just below a line drawn between the two fainter of these stars. Just been observing it now in 20 x 80 binos and it's still brighter than the mag 9.3 star immediately to the west.

10 minutes ago, goodricke1 said:

You're in the right ballpark. HR 1482 is the easternmost of a nice parallelogram of 6th, 7th mag stars about half a degree square. The Nova is just below a line drawn between the two fainter of these stars. Just been observing it now in 20 x 80 binos and it's still brighter than the mag 9.3 star immediately to the west.

Got it :D Thank you! The nova appears to have a red colour compared to the star next to it

1 minute ago, Littleguy80 said:

Got it :D Thank you! The nova appears to have a red colour compared to the star next to it

It's quite strong in H alpha. Along with plate solving the coordinates that's how I identified it. That red hue <3

Observed V392 Per for the first time last night. It just looks like a reddish star. The interest comes from monitoring the star as it fades. If it goes back to being a mag 15 star than it will disappear from my view. Hopefully there will be enough clear skies to follow its diminishment.

Archived