SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What is in your "Do not sell" case?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much the same answer as John, though my  full Ethos range is unlikely to go anywhere. I have another problem in the shape of anything I sell I have to courier to the UK, no real S/H market here to talk of. I have been very lucky in so much as items I have sold have been often bought by people that took 2 or 3 things from me, sometimes even more. I see the 3.5mm and 4.5mm Delos in the to depart tray now as I have the Ethos offerings that are almost the same, well F/L wise anyway. On the selling side with only Televue in the cases they are not going to lose much money, even some of the ones I bought new are now going for the same price secondhand.

Alan

I'm very happy with my main eyepieces which are SLVs for my light scopes and Naglers and Delos for the VX14. I don't feel any inclination to change because everything is a compromise of one sort or another, and any change would just be a compromise on cost, weight, eyerelief, etc.

Baader Hyperions: 10, 17 & 31mm (Asp)! Perhaps because Baader Hyperions
were the *first* eyepieces to make any inroads into "Teleview only" Ethos(?)
on my then only Forum (CN)! They are not perfect of course... But different! :D

NO reference to the above! Though I was glad to discover "imaging" to rid me 
of perpetual "worries" about eyepieces. I may shortly be reentering the world
of Visual Astronomy? I suspect I will buy ONE "Good to f/4" WA e.p... Hmm! ;)

I have 3 eyepieces ES 30mm 82 Deg and the ES 14mm/9mm 100 Deg.

I will also add the ES 5mm 100 Deg at some point in the future.

Im happy with these eps and can’t see me selling them.

As for my 12” dob if circumstances allow I will certainly get a biggger dob, how big only time will tell ?

44 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

As for my 12” dob if circumstances allow I will certainly get a biggger dob, how big only time will tell ?

Faulksy's 20" top specification dobsonian perhaps - a one off opportunity? A trip to Wrexham from Bury would be quite reasonable. 

Eyepieces, plossls are where I have made miscalculations in selling only to then re-purchase the same focal length, brand. Unless or until necessary, then currently unlikely to sell off any of the 4mm to 31mm hoard.

I'm trying to build up a selection of Clave eyepieces so the ones I have at the moment will not be going anywhere. My Delos collection I'm unsure about as I have not used them in quite a long time as I prefer the Clave's. 

29 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Faulksy's 20" top specification dobsonian perhaps - a one off opportunity? A trip to Wrexham from Bury would be quite reasonable. 

:thumbsup: That's a great opportunity, indeed! 

5 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Eyepieces, plossls are where I have made miscalculations in selling only to then re-purchase the same focal length, brand. Unless or until necessary, then currently unlikely to sell off any of the 4mm to 31mm hoard.

Honestly if I had £5000 to spare I would certainly consider it.

A lot of things to consider storage and of course a scope like that deserves to be under pristine dark skies as much as possible.

Something at the moment is hard to get.

Maybe one day...

14 hours ago, Richard Hather said:

Honestly if I had £5000 to spare I would certainly consider it.

A lot of things to consider storage and of course a scope like that deserves to be under pristine dark skies as much as possible.

Something at the moment is hard to get.

Maybe one day...

Yes of course, something like this is a big consideration financially and practically, you have a great scope to continue to enjoy. Sad to learn that Mike is having to sell, someone will eventually be in a position to take it on.  

On 29/04/2018 at 21:49, LukeSkywatcher said:

I can never sell anything. Who knows when I might need or use it. 

Hi Paul, I am much the same, I love all the purchases I have made, especially a recent purchase of Naglers which I told myself I would never buy as I had most of the ES82's.  But as John says above, you never know what's around the corner, and I saw a bargain!  Trying new stuff is part of the fun of this hobby for me, and every eyepiece has its own character.  So I like them all for different reasons. 

DSC00497.JPG

I very much doubt I'd sell my 13mm T6 Nagler - quite a few years ago I promised myself that I'd buy at least one Nagler when I could afford it.    It was worth the wait.

43 minutes ago, Merak said:

I very much doubt I'd sell my 13mm T6 Nagler - quite a few years ago I promised myself that I'd buy at least one Nagler when I could afford it.    It was worth the wait.

Yes that was my first TV ep, and remains my favourite. A great performer, and so compact :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Merak said:

What I like about the 13mm T6 is its lightness and how easy it is to use and view through, stunning views, of course. Very compact like the 24mm Pan, another favourite. 

My Morpheus 17.5s look like joining the DNS case, better than the 9mm for comfort. Still under assessment but seem promising. Luckily its the longest FL Morpheus and 9mm is the shortest I would want. 

Completely understand the never say never sentiments but I find it hard to visualise parting with my 32mm Revelation/GSO plossl which I've had almost from day 1 and has proven so useful, and my 18mm BCO which is so good. They are nothing very exotic but just do all that I want of them. The rest of my collection is just fine too, but who knows how things will go.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends what technology delivers in the future, but I think my least probable sell is my TMB 40mm orthoscopic. It's only used in my WO66 finderscope but has a nice crisp flat field and for a 2" 40mm, it's very light (compared to something like a TV 41 panoptic) Gives me a pretty well corrected 7 degree FoV which is great as a finder but also good for ridiculously big objects like the North America nebula :)

Archived