Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scope identification (hopeful)

Nice scope, Was my first. A good all round scope for local and deep sky. Clock drive can be a bit jumpy at times if your looking at imaging. It doesnt say anything about eyepieces included even though there is one in the image so id ask that question before you buy, otherwise you'll have to spend £40-50 on an EP (and you might need a few) The one i got came with a 10mm, 25mm and 2x barlow.

I hqve asked about lensew, apparently everything that came wit it is there.

There is another for sale close to me, 130/650 with lenses, £60ish.

Would it be easy to store in garage and set up each time i wanted to use it? 

As long as your garage is reasonably dry it would be a good place to store a scope. It would take less time to cool to ambient temperature when you take it outside. A scope coat or sheet to cover it to stop creepy-crawlies getting in would be a good idea too.

1 hour ago, 01142007 said:

There is another for sale close to me, 130/650 with lenses, £60ish

That would be the PDS version of this scope. DS = dual speed, has a different focuser. The 130PDS is a popular imaging scope.

First scope 130 / 900, given that it has blue paint job, looks like early version - probably with spherical mirror. I would skip that if there is no way to confirm that it is parabolic.

130/650 is certainly parabolic mirror. It might not be PDS version, but rather regular 130P (also comes with bundled with Eq2 nowdays). I think PDS is sold as OTA only.

7 hours ago, vlaiv said:

First scope 130 / 900, given that it has blue paint job, looks like early version - probably with spherical mirror. I would skip that if there is no way to confirm that it is parabolic.

130/650 is certainly parabolic mirror. It might not be PDS version, but rather regular 130P (also comes with bundled with Eq2 nowdays). I think PDS is sold as OTA only.

So i am better with the secind one 130/650?

1 hour ago, 01142007 said:

That depends on three things: the mount that comes with it; the overall quality (look down the tube, eg), your intended use.

In my very personal opinion, I consider 900 mm on an eq2 to be pushing it. I expect it to be wobbly, and sensitive to any vibrations. If you have the possibility to test the scopes, try to do that. Then go with the one that feels best. And as said before: check which eyepieces come with either scope. You'll want 2-3 different eyepieces, and probably a barlow (at least with the 130/650). You can check on FLO's website how much simple skywatcher eyepieces cost.

58 minutes ago, 01142007 said:

I would go with the 650mm tube (once you have been and viewed it of course). The shorter tube will be better balanced and less wobbly on the cheap EQ mounts that both scopes have.

The longer tube will be a wobbly and annoying to use.

Alan

Archived