Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Scope identification (hopeful)

Could i ask if anyone can identify the model of this please? Just come up for sale locally.

If anyone can identify it would it be any good for a first Telescope?

Thanks in advance 

IMG_20180428_211332.jpg

You're probably right, Cornelius Varley. 

I tried importing the image into google images and came up with results similar to your answer.

Personally, I think it would make a fine first scope!

• Like 1

This is the description 

Sky watcher Reflector telescope D=130mm F=900mm coated optics with (boxed) clock drive

For sale for £50

Nice scope, Was my first. A good all round scope for local and deep sky. Clock drive can be a bit jumpy at times if your looking at imaging. It doesnt say anything about eyepieces included even though there is one in the image so id ask that question before you buy, otherwise you'll have to spend £40-50 on an EP (and you might need a few) The one i got came with a 10mm, 25mm and 2x barlow.

Edited by Danny83uk
Grammar
  • Like 1

I hqve asked about lensew, apparently everything that came wit it is there.

There is another for sale close to me, 130/650 with lenses, £60ish.

Would it be easy to store in garage and set up each time i wanted to use it? 

As long as your garage is reasonably dry it would be a good place to store a scope. It would take less time to cool to ambient temperature when you take it outside. A scope coat or sheet to cover it to stop creepy-crawlies getting in would be a good idea too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 01142007 said:

There is another for sale close to me, 130/650 with lenses, £60ish

That would be the PDS version of this scope. DS = dual speed, has a different focuser. The 130PDS is a popular imaging scope.

First scope 130 / 900, given that it has blue paint job, looks like early version - probably with spherical mirror. I would skip that if there is no way to confirm that it is parabolic.

130/650 is certainly parabolic mirror. It might not be PDS version, but rather regular 130P (also comes with bundled with Eq2 nowdays). I think PDS is sold as OTA only.

7 hours ago, vlaiv said:

First scope 130 / 900, given that it has blue paint job, looks like early version - probably with spherical mirror. I would skip that if there is no way to confirm that it is parabolic.

130/650 is certainly parabolic mirror. It might not be PDS version, but rather regular 130P (also comes with bundled with Eq2 nowdays). I think PDS is sold as OTA only.

So i am better with the secind one 130/650?

1 hour ago, 01142007 said:

That depends on three things: the mount that comes with it; the overall quality (look down the tube, eg), your intended use.

In my very personal opinion, I consider 900 mm on an eq2 to be pushing it. I expect it to be wobbly, and sensitive to any vibrations. If you have the possibility to test the scopes, try to do that. Then go with the one that feels best. And as said before: check which eyepieces come with either scope. You'll want 2-3 different eyepieces, and probably a barlow (at least with the 130/650). You can check on FLO's website how much simple skywatcher eyepieces cost.

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, 01142007 said:

I would go with the 650mm tube (once you have been and viewed it of course). The shorter tube will be better balanced and less wobbly on the cheap EQ mounts that both scopes have.

The longer tube will be a wobbly and annoying to use.

Alan

Given the advice even though it was a good price i have decided against this scope and wait for something a little better and add funds to it.