Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Strange one?

OXO

Just been out observing Orion M42 and thought i would pay the Flame Nebula a Visit, whilst oberserving the Flame a Strange thing happened to the right that can only be described as a Starburst flash :shock: not seen anything like this in over 20yrs of observing...

James :laugh:

Well as you will see from the chart below i have marked and given a nice impresion of were it was and what it looked like. The Flash lasted for roughly 4 m seconds i imagine if there was a GRB then it would look like this, not saying it was :laugh:...

Seeing was excellent..

James :laugh:

I'll bet it was a flash off of a geostationary satellite. They should be seen right around this declination from you. I find it fun to watch the satellite drift into view, then turn off the drive to keep the satellite stationary and let the stars drift. Kinda messes with your mind, but it works!

If you get the chance, see if you can find the moving object when M42 is centered, then switch off the drive.

Hi Astroman,

It's funny but iam really not convinced it was a Satellite having seen them so many times cross my eyepiece in the past i guess a visit to Dr Stein is in order :laugh:.

Your dead right about the trick with turning off the Drives it's fun to watch :laugh: if ya can get one to hit the Moon so to speak that's good too :laugh:

James(Looking for the men in white coats..........Again :laugh:)

Archived