Newbie for imaging

I have a Nikkon Coolpix P610. Is it possible to use it for imaging on a Celestron NexStar 6E? I do see threads in the existing camera lens just not sure if it can be adapted to the scope. Also, looking for suggestions for other mountable cameras just for the scope! TIA

The scope's mount is alt-azimuth so not suitable for deep sky imaging. It can still be done, however. There's a very long running thread on using alt-az mounts for imaging here on SGL.

If you are seriously interested in getting into deep sky imaging then I'd suggest that you read up on the equatorial mount first and foremost because this is the key bit of kit to get right. You can use a screwdriver as a chisel but a chisel is better.

Making Every Photon Count is an excellent overview of astrophotography written by Steve Richards and available from the sponsor, FLO.

Olly

Is your camera a bridge camera or a DSLR.

If you can remove the lens then there is possibility of attaching the camera body to your telescope.

If it is a bridge camera then with the 60x zoom you could probably take video of the Moon directly on a tripod. Have a try doing that then process your video using the various free programs to get the best image from your video.

I have not suggested projection imaging as trying to balance that camera with the telescope and eyepiece might be too ambitious.

Do you have a budget in mind for your other question on 'looking for suggestions for other mountable cameras just for the scope'

Last thought, do you own a webcam? Webcams can often be adapted to work directly on a telescope to record video of planets.

On 5/1/2018 at 06:41, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

It depends on the video frame rate of the camera. Planetary is done by doing videos. Normally over 100fps is going to be needed. Remember deep sky is a completely different setup to planetary. They are not the same. 

Thanks for the reply!

On 5/1/2018 at 06:47, happy-kat said:

Is your camera a bridge camera or a DSLR.

If you can remove the lens then there is possibility of attaching the camera body to your telescope.

If it is a bridge camera then with the 60x zoom you could probably take video of the Moon directly on a tripod. Have a try doing that then process your video using the various free programs to get the best image from your video.

I have not suggested projection imaging as trying to balance that camera with the telescope and eyepiece might be too ambitious.

I believe it's DSLR but I don't want to try to remove anything without knowing if it can be or is supposed to be removed.

On 5/1/2018 at 06:57, happy-kat said:

Do you have a budget in mind for your other question on 'looking for suggestions for other mountable cameras just for the scope'

Last thought, do you own a webcam? Webcams can often be adapted to work directly on a telescope to record video of planets.

Trying to keep it around $200 USD. No webcam separate from the laptop.

4 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Doing a search on Google your camera is a bridge camera so the lens is fixed to the camera and cannot be removed. It has great manual controls as it is a bridge camera. 

Than you for the info!

Archived