Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher

Hi guys,i am about to buy this telescope Sky-watcher Black Diamond
(10") 250 x 1200P f/4.8 is going to be on aNEQ6PRO computerised mount.

I know is going to be a good OTA for AP but i will do first a lot of visual before endeavor in to AP.

I was wonder what you guys think,is going to be good enough for visual? and in general it is a good OTA as i think? Thanks in advance.

Visually it will be a nice scope, although not particularly easy to use on an EQ Mount. Conversely it is not always best to use a large aperture scope for AP, assuming you mean deep sky AP? The longer focal length and physically larger scopecan be harder to guide, and more difficult in windy conditions etc so progress and results can be harder to come by. Have you considered a smaller refractor?

Hi, i actually at first was going to buy an 12" dobs go-to,but then since i will be doing AP at some point, i decide to go for this one.

I am interested more about visual observation at a moment,but in let say 6 month time i was thinking to start with AP.

I am really undecided at a moment and since i am wiling to spend about 4000$ for it i really need to nail it.

Always loved the dobs go-to and i know i could do some AP maybe planet not DSO but then i saw few videos about that Newtonian on EQ and it look great.

As for reasons previously stated I would caution against trying to find a telescope that will be ideal for both visual and AP.  I would seriously consider getting the best visual scope you can if you want to concentrate on visual for now, then get a separate small refractor when you are ready to dive into AP.

But isn't the aperture of the OTA important? i mean an 80mm refactor would not collect as much light as a 250mm Newtonian.

Also isn't f5 fast enough? i know f4 are better and faster but again i will have problem to do visual with a f4 i think.

Not really' The mount is the most important thing' a 80mm apo can take wonderfull images with a smaller mount.  I would not even consider a 10in newt to start AP with.  Get a 10in dob for around $500 and that will be killer for visual. Then work on a AP setup with a 3 to 4in apo.

1 hour ago, Atomo said:

But isn't the aperture of the OTA important? i mean an 80mm refactor would not collect as much light as a 250mm Newtonian.

Also isn't f5 fast enough? i know f4 are better and faster but again i will have problem to do visual with a f4 i think.

Aperture is more important for visual than it is for AP.  With AP you can just increase the exposure time of the photograph to make up for any deficiencies in aperture. 

Whats more important is the focal ratio as you have eluded to.  F5 is certainly fast enough.   A good starting point is small easy to guide refractor which takes nice widefield images, which will keep you happy for a good while.  Once you start craving images of smaller objects, you will require a scope with a longer focal length like the 250p, but to keep that focal ratio down it needs a bigger aperture which is more challenging to guide.  If you dive in at the deep end, it may put you off the hobby for good.

The Esprit's are excellent telescopes, universally well reviewed.  They are top end, with top end prices.  I don't know what your budget is, but I recommend considering something more value for money like the https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-ds-pro-ota.html (I chose this) and investing in a good mount as a higher priority.

Hi guys, 

I am reading this with interest. I have recently bought a belt modded and regreased NEQ5 Pro. I am looking at fpl53 apos. I want something that will keep me happy for a year or two before I dive into buying my final (expensive apo) The SW 80mm as mentioned by Scitmon keeps catching my eye. Are there any ither scopes around this price range to offer the same value for money.

Much appreciated all

Ryan

The focal length of the 100 and 120 will be more suited to galaxies for sure, but the f ratio of the 100 is also larger than the 80 and 120 so you would need to be taking longer exposures for fainter objects/details. 

FLO website says the capacity of your NEQ5 is around 6.5kg for imaging and the weight of the 100 is about 3.5kg, add a camera and guidescope (if you want to guide) and you are approaching the limit but should be OK? 

http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/ is a good tool to compare field of views for popular targets.

Thanks for your reply pal??

I have been using the astronomy tools fov calculator, by attaching the flattener/0.85 reducer to the 100mm it givea 7.65fl. I think I would be tempted with this. 

Are there compatible field flateners for these scopes without the reducer combo? It would be great to have a flat field at both 900mm and 7.65??

Thanks again???

Archived