Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars -26 April

Cosmic Geoff

This morning I set out to get some images of Mars and Saturn, having got a good result with Jupiter a few nights ago. It turned out to be one of those occasions when almost everything seemed to go wrong. :hmh:  I struggled for ages in the dark to get the 8SE mount attached to the tripod (it has some white stickers on it now), the solar system align turned out to be inaccurate, and the laptop kept crashing.  It became a race to get some result  before daylight intervened.  I aimed at Jupiter, and tried out Sharpcap's exposure histogram before turning to Saturn.  The focus would not come good (as the stacked images confirm) so I switched to Mars, with the result shown below.  The dark smudge appears in all six videos and seems to match the position of Syrtis Major.

The Mars result looks encouraging, considering that it will be twice this apparent size at opposition. The altitude of Mars was about 10 deg.

Equipment: C8 SE, ASI120MC, ADC, processed in Registax6

Mars04_57_.jpg

Mars05_08_43.jpg

Archived