Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observation lists

jollyjack

Anyone here use the Royal Canadian Astronomical Society observing award lists?

Have found them on the web and they seem a good general introduction. Can't find any RAS or other UK equivalent. The Lunar 100 is another good one.

Astronomy is only one facet of my busy life, and on a night like tonight, I'm thinking; Shall I just go out and see what I can see? Shall I spend some of the day preparing for the possibility of clear skies and devise an observing schedule? Shall I get a comprehensive list to work through?

How do the experienced observers decide on their targets and priorities? (I guess the seeing, environment, weather, scope of choice all play a part, but after a busy day my thoughts suddenly turn at 1900 or so to how I can make the best of the evening, but with little prior planning).

I have been working my way through the Messier list (while observing other deep sky objects, the moon, planets etc). I found a Messier list on an excel spreadsheet on the interweb (can't remember where but a google search should locate one) and sorted it by Right Ascension. This then shows me which objects are observable at the same time of the night. For example, M31 is quite prominent in the earlier part of th enight at this time of year so finding M31 on the list shows M33, M74, M103 ... are also near the meridian so I find those too. You have to remember to look at the other end of the table at this time of year as we change over from 24h to 0h RA!

I've always intended to get some observation lists sorted but never really get the time. I do have a list of globulars and edge on spiral galaxies (my two favourite types of object) but much like you I tend to get to the end of the day and suddenly realise it's clear.

Usually I set up then run through my favourite objects for that time of year before trying out a few that I haven't seen before. Some of the time I will just tinker with the setup, test some bit of kit I haven't used much or pick on one object and observe it for a while (yes, extra details do become more visible after a while!). Sometimes my choice of object will be limited by my setup - right now to see any object to the south east I have to climb up some steps to get to the eyepiece which is irritatingly positioned at the top of the OTA... :?

I'd like to sort a list out with objects that you can see more than one of in the field of view, i.e. M56,66 & NGC ???? or M81 & M82 but I doubt I'll ever get the time. Lists I have used have been from the Saguaro Astronomy Club (our very own Astroman is currently the club President!) and I suspect the RASC's lists are similar to theirs.

James

Archived