Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 190mm Maksutov-Newtonian Astrograph

FLO

We have the first picture of the new Skywatcher Explorer 190MN Mak Newt astrograph.

Edit: Picture updated Jan 10, now has white trim and dual-speed focuser.

My next telescope!

skywatcher_mak_newt_astrograph_sgl.jpg

Edit 7th Dec 08: A big thank-you to SteveL this superb image made using the 190mm Mak-Newt :undecided:

(Click on the image for a larger version).

m42_20081206_800.jpg

Edit 11th April 09: Another from SteveL, using the 190MN and Starlight Xpress MX25 :)

(Click on the image for a larger version).

20090401_leo_trio_wip1_800.jpg

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.... plus a dew shield, a dew band and a dual speed moonlite please :)

My thoughts precisely :undecided:

Do the tube rings and dovetail come supplied?

The tube rings and right-angled finderscope will be included, not sure about the dovetail.

... The downside (don't kill me!) is of course that you cannot make a newt shorter than it's focal length. It's still going to require a rahter sturdy mount, and be voulnerable to wind... Something for my HEQ5`? or the EQ6 I cannot afford at the moment? That is the question :undecided:

How would a scope like this compare (optically) to a f/10 8" SCT with a 0.63 reducer? (The OTA costs around £1000....) Is the mak-newt going to be cheaper?

Glenn, the big advantages of the Mak-Newt design are you get the advantages of an APO refrator (contrast, flat field) and the aperture of a reflector. But the downsides are that it's heavy (I reckon EQ6 minimum for this beastie) and the usual eyepiece contortion fun you sometimes get with reflectors. These have been on sale in the US under the Orion badge for a while now and they seem to be getting favourable reports so fingers crossed. These particular models do have a larger secondary than the Intes Mirco models which probably does lessen the contrast a touch for visual but apparently it'll give a flat field to the edge for DSLR's.

Tony..

I see you have bagged the first one for theeself. :undecided:

Oh yes! I have always fancied a Maksutov-Newtonian and have been eagerly awaiting this one for some time :mrgreen:

How would a scope like this compare (optically) to a f/10 8" SCT with a 0.63 reducer? (The OTA costs around £1000....) Is the mak-newt going to be cheaper?

It hasn't arrived yet but when it does SteveL will be the first to test it, his camera has a DSLR sized chip so will benefit from its flat field and even illumination.

We haven't a price yet but it will definitely be below £1,000 8)

I take it you'll be using it at a dark sky Steve.. :)

I'll be hotfooting it to your porch soon after it arrives :thumbright:

Any idea how one of these would be for visual use?

It is primarily an astrograph so an optically flat and even field of illumination for coma-free images and a fast f/5.3 focal ratio is priority, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't also perform well visually.

It will certainly be available as an OTA. We shall also list it packaged with the HEQ5 and EQ6 range of mounts but there is no longer a price-advantage to buying them together the way there was last year.

Archived