Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead nebula in Narrowband

swag72

Hi Sara, I've been away on business all week and left the catchup of this section until today as I really enjoy this section, all I can say is wow, it is so beautiful I called my wife to show her and she loves looking at Astro images without knowing what they are and she exclaimed "Beautiful, you could earn a lot of money from that" So there you go....go and earn :-)

• Like 1

Wow, certainly a different take on the many, many images of this region. 

I really like how the detail has come to fore in the surrounding regions and how the horsehead is enhanced by the background curtain of nebulosity, much more than you see in LRGB renditions, IMO.

A fabulous image, I’m very glad you posted it.

• Like 1

Yes the colours are unconventional - but you've achieved a staggering amount of depth - I don't think I've seen any astro image with so much 3-dimensional feel to it.  A remarkable and beautiful image - even if the colours take us out of our comfort zones!  Smashing!

• Like 1

The project would have been worth it just for that lower right hand corner of swirling dust, which is sumptuous.

I think this is a target which is bound to look unfamiliar in NB because so much of the broadband structure is from reflection rather than emission. To see in in emission only is exciting. I'm surprised that there is so much emission nebulosity, in fact.

Olly

• Like 1

Hi Sara,

I think we need to invent some new superlatives. You've produced some amazing imagery - this is (in the very best sense) something else. And I like the colours. This region of the sky is a favourite target for many, and there are lots of good images of it out there - but this is like looking at the scene for the very first time. Amazing.

Nigel

• Like 1

13 hours ago, groberts said:

.....Can't see why you'd not be happy with this Sara, it is fantastic! :hello2:   

It is the colour palette that I am uncomfortable with!!

13 hours ago, AngryDonkey said:

Hi Sara,

Also love the colour! Somehow looks more natural then the usual palette. How did you assign the narrowband data to the colours?

The assignment was the usual for HST images...... SHO - SII red, Ha Green and OIII Blue

Thanks guys for the positive comments especially as this is a colour palette that I would never normally use. :) 

Edited by swag72

Bit late to the party on this one, but glad I found it. The detail in this image is simply stunning. Great processing as ever, Sara, great contrast and crispy sharp, but not over-baked. The colour palette is challenging, but there’s nothing wrong with that. It reminds me of the fantasy star-scape style images, but the great thing about this one is it’s real, just dropped a tab of LSD, that’s all! I prefer ‘natural’ colour palettes, but this image is still lovely to look at. And that dust below the SeaHorseHead - swirly deliciousness! I look forward to seeing the less-lemon and sharper Flame version. Finally, composition - I was very happy to read that this is an unfinished mosaic as my immediate thought was that I would like to see more of the Nebula above the HorseHead. Thank you for posting, even if you were unsure. It’s always interesting to see something a bit different.

• Like 1

I can understand you're being hesitant (as would I) but I find it both fresh and exciting. I also thought of J.M.W Turner but with more colour and much more detail. I really like it.

/Lars

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, knobby said:

@swag72Just came here from your website ... Really beautiful image Sara 👍👍👍

Thanks! Glad that you like it :)

4 hours ago, Brian Maurer said:

I normally don’t like the odd colors, but this looks amazing!

Many thanks Brian - This was a colour that I was not sure about  :)