Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horsehead nebula in Narrowband

swag72

That is absolutely glorious! Pops right off the screen whilst giving an impression of boiling motion. Lovely composition too, with the right side constrained by the clouds, and the left open to the void  so your eyes fall into the centre

• Like 1

In general I do like it, I love the detail and 3d kind of feel to it. I love color balance and palette.

Flame bothers me a bit I must say, composition wise - it somehow detracts from the image - both placing / brightness and color seems to be "out of place" on otherwise superb image.

It also looks flat compared to the rest of the image.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vlaiv said:

In general I do like it, I love the detail and 3d kind of feel to it. I love color balance and palette.

Flame bothers me a bit I must say, composition wise - it somehow detracts from the image - both placing / brightness and color seems to be "out of place" on otherwise superb image.

It also looks flat compared to the rest of the image.

Not sure I can do much on the composition! This was supposed to be a 2 pane mosaic carried on from last year, but the weather and equipment didn't play ball so I had to give up on this pane. I'll have another look at the flame (I won't thank you for getting me to go back and look at this again!! :D ) 

Thanks all for your comments and thoughts....... I'm still reserving over all judgement :)

Edited by swag72

Sara you just keep setting the bar higher, that is an absolutely stunning image; I love the way the background stars shine through the dust and gas  it gives a real sense of how tenuous these structures must be. The colour balance is perfect; what kind of dark magic do you wield Sara? :)   

Jim 

• Haha 1

Hi Sara,

Up to your usual good standard, but I feel this is one target that doesn't feel right in NB colours.  The data is excellent, I wonder whether you could fiddle with/change the colours a bit.  

I have done this is narrowband in the past and like you hesitated, and in the end I don;t think I even posted it.

Carole 

• Like 1

I'd agree with comments on the Flame - the HH and surrounding emission look super, and the palette really works, and there's great detail in the faint wispy stuff; but the Flame in lemon yellow doesn't really do it for me I'm afraid :-/. 

• Like 1

Thanks all for your comments - I have gone back and re-worked the flame a little. Now it's more contrasty and less 'lemon' :) 

@carastro - I'm not really convinced with this target in NB either - Hence why it's sat on my computer since January!! When I first processed it, I went for my usual colour palette - More orange and blue and no green. It looked as flat as a pancake!!! Perhaps Next year I can think of something else to do with it :D 

Narrowband colours are subjective, and there is no right or wrong way to interpret them, or indeed create them.Even Hubbles are false.

No with this image you have to look at the construction and the stunning amount of Nebulae and detail that Sara has achieved with this. 

The 3D effect is really present.

11/10 Sara.

Mick.

Edited by astro mick
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Narrowband colours are subjective, and there is no right or wrong way to interpret them, or indeed create them.Even Hubbles are false.

Absolutely. ( And Flames can be red, yellow, white, blue etc too anyway). There have been a lot of HH on SGL, this is one of my favourites.

Edited by melsmore
Correction to predictive text ?
  • Like 1

I really love the colour palette in this image but I am concerned about the Flame which has lost something in translation. However, any re-work should retain this palette as it has really given this object a little special something.

• Like 1