Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Markarians Chain testing out my new rig

peter shah

Well I'm off to La Palma for a break in a couple of weeks and so I decided to buy myself a little rig to take a long with me....No messing no fuss, portable and fun sized.  After a lot of thought and trawling though reviews I went for a little TS-APO-65Q and a OSC SXM25C. I've spent a while getting the laptop all set up with the software needed for the job and took full advantage of the UK's mini heat wave last week. Surprisingly good for a cheap little setup. This is the result. 4x900s subs Markarian's Chain.  Used with OAG plate solved and automated with CCD Auto Pilot. The lower image I added some Luminance from my AG12 just to sharpen things up a bit.

I'm also taking a 58mm lens with me for some nice wide FOV.... still got to test that though....fingers crossed for some clear skies

thanks for taking a look.

Peter :thumbright:

5adf88463edd0_MarkariansTS-APO-65QM25C.thumb.jpg.4ea51485a623b5fe40719ea9b9c96bf1.jpg TS-APO-65Q and the M25C

5adf8afd0db1f_MarkariansTS-APO-65QM25CAG12.thumb.jpg.b54869c1cc8b1474be29a77027af953b.jpg TS-APO-65Q M25C with some Luminance from my AG12 resampled down

3 minutes ago, The_Sarge said:

Very nice image for so little data.

The one with the luminance looks a little crisper, less noise. Also first image has a slight satellite trail in it.

Paul

Thank you Paul I did fix the sat trail in the one but not the other

2 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

That's a nice little setup you've got there @peter shah

Enjoy your trip to La Palma brother and please please please bring back some clear skies with you :)

Can't wait to see the images you take.

Im just hoping its going to be clear while im there....that will just be my luck

3 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Thank you Paul I did fix the sat trail in the one but not the other

The only way I know how to fix them (other than discarding the subs or cloning over) is more subs and good outlier rejection.

1 minute ago, The_Sarge said:

The only way I know how to fix them (other than discarding the subs or cloning over) is more subs and good outlier rejection.

Clone tool on this one...I didn't have enough subs to remove it completely but I always dither my guiding and stack using an SD Mask which would normally average out any unwanted trails from the final image

9 hours ago, fireballxl5 said:

which mount are you using for your travel kit Peter?

Hope all goes well!

I will be using a EQ6 for this....all set up with an OAG so no guide scope or filter wheel. I will be able to piggyback a 58mm Helios lens on to for real wide views. Im also taking a skywtcher star adventurer for my Sony A7s

9 hours ago, Mick J said:

Enjoy La Palma Peter, look forward to seeing the results, you can sleep when you get home.

I wont be doing much sleeping providing it stays clear

10 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Fantastic,where in La Palma are you going? What about a mount,are you taking one with you or hiring one out? Good luck on your journey..hope the skies are as good as they say they are..ive been thinking of going 

Thank you, I think the apartment is in El Pueblo but the wife booked it so I guess Ill find out when I get there, its a small enough island and I'm hiring a car so will be driving out and spending my nights at the top of the volcano. I'm borrowing an EQ6 off a friend. I just hope the weather stays fine.

Great looking test of your equipment Peter :) I wish you well with the weather..... it really has been pretty dire for us this year. I noticed the other week that I'd been on an image since the 2nd week in February and still not done..... That's unheard of for me :(

Very nice images, Peter, you don’t want to see my ‘test’ images. Enjoy  your holiday.

Sara, sorry to hear you too can be frustrated by the weather, still trying to convince my wife that Atacama is growing in popularity as a UK ex pat retirement location.:grin:

38 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Thank you, I think the apartment is in El Pueblo but the wife booked it so I guess Ill find out when I get there, its a small enough island and I'm hiring a car so will be driving out and spending my nights at the top of the volcano. I'm borrowing an EQ6 off a friend. I just hope the weather stays fine.

If that's El Pueblo near Tijarafe, half way up the west coast it's a good spot, possibly above the cloud but with all you need in Tijarafe, food shops, cafe, restaurants, we stayed in El Jesus (5years ago+) and enjoyed a drink at a sort of layby truckstop opposite the Catholic Church (we could get free wifi in the church car park) near to La Punta (also good for food, coffee etc).  

Don't think it's quick to get around, roads are good but twisty and quite a climb to the Roque, you will soon find out,  the road from the airport up to El Time is a good introduction.  People were lovely etc.

I was taking a little 58mm lens with me too but the results with the m25c are not great nice stars in the centre and real ugly around the one edge, even stopped down to F8. Im looking for an alternative 50mm was thinking about a Nikkor 50mm 1.8d. I did want to get a Canon 50mm but I dont think the nifty 50 can be used manual aperture. I welcome any suggestions.

Archived