Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_open_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.6f22fafea012ea83480eb785879332c2.jpg

arun289

A smart barn door tracker with arduino

Hi,

I would like to share my design of a smart barn door tracker. It is a simple to build isosceles barn door tracker with tangent error correction through a Arduino micro-controller. I have shared all the details about the tracker including the mechanical design, electrical circuit and the software source code here:
https://barndoor.spa...ference-design/

If you are interested in the math and other details about a barn door tracker, more details are there in the blog. Also find an online calculator which helps in calculating various parameters while designing a barn door tracker. The blog is here:
https://barndoor.space/

barndoortracker-s.jpg.7c968ac3cef9584d795aa450846f074b.jpg

M46 and M47 shot with this tracker.
135mm lens, ISO800, 15sec X 200 subs (50 minutes) exposure. Cannon 500D.

m47m46-cropped-s.jpg.f968730661e8aa2a4de84897705c7fef.jpg

Comments and suggestions most welcome!

Regards,
Arun

• Like 7

That's a great build.

What is the longest exposure time your tried with good star shapes using your barn door?

Mine is still manual (have an Arduino board and already located some source code just not got round to it yet) and have good success with a 40mm lens with good 3 minute exposures just it isn't any good with a longer lens as I need that 10 second buffer.

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

That's a great build.

What is the longest exposure time your tried with good star shapes using your barn door?

Mine is still manual (have an Arduino board and already located some source code just not got round to it yet) and have good success with a 40mm lens with good 3 minute exposures just it isn't any good with a longer lens as I need that 10 second buffer.

Thanks!

Regarding the exposure time, it depends on the focal length of the lens...
For 18mm and less it was around 2-3 minutes.
For 50mm around 1-2 minutes
For 135mm 15 seconds.

Better build quality will increase these times at least by a factor of 2.

Please do let me know if you need any help with the Arduino coding.

Regards,
Arun

• Like 1

Thank you.

Will you be adding a page to your blog to cover on the night setup?

(I use a red dot finder as far too may planes where I live for a laser).

Have you thought about in what areas you will be looking at for how to increase your exposure time with your lenses.

A 18mm lens with a smaller DSLR should theoretically give a max 22 second buffer (behind the movement) before star trails and kappa sigma clipping in Deep Sky Stack is quite good at tidy small elongation.

I very much enjoy using the barn door tracker as it is so satisfying using something you've made. I don't use a tripod I've built a stable platform into the barn door so the lot sits on a flat topped chair or table and it has it's own three leveling feet.

Look forward to seeing more images you've taken with yours.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By astrosathya
      Hi All,
      I purchased a GSO 6" f/4 Newtonian "Astrograph" late last year and eventually found that stars on one corner were egg shaped while taking images. I narrowed it down to improper centering of secondary mirror from the factory and resulting tilt. 
      Long story short, after numerous iterations, I used the Advanced Newtonian collimation technique by Astro Shed guy and ended up with the below pic of the optics. Does it look ok or do I need to do more? I will be checking with a Howie this weekend too.

• By stevebb
      Having recently replaced my astrophotography camera, I now have the old one up for sale on an astro site. However, doesn't hurt advertising it here

Here is an astro modified Canon Rebel xsi which is the Canon 450D equivalent. It is "good" condition and fully working order but does have some light scratches to the rear screen. I have tried to photograph these but they do not show up when the camera is switched on
      Shutter count is 3860 which is extremely low.
      Also included are the following :
      Astronomik CLS clip filter which really is fantastic and makes a huge difference. It also adds additional dust protection.
      Battery system / dc coupler - connects to a figure of 8 lead (IEC C7 Power Lead) - I might have one spare if deemed absolutely necessary. This device provides permanent power to the camera for those long nights - brilliant !
      3 batteries and multi-voltage charger (mains / 12volt / 24volt)
      I do not have the original box but it can be posted to UK address.
      I would prefer collection (near Filey, North Yorkshire) but willing to post if you cover Paypal fees.
      I might have a couple more batteries in other camera bags !!
      Reason for sale is purchase of an astro modified Sony A7S with canon lens adaptor.
      Including a few photos taken with this camera. Two of these images were placed 1st and 3rd in two separate Astrofest competitions in Yorkshire (York and Hull).
      £120

• By bottletopburly
      So  my birthday just past so money to splash on astro stuff , i will have my 1000D modded by juan at cheapastrophotography and also have ordered an autofocuser from deepsky dad https://deepskydad.com/autofocuser i know they can be done DIY but this is a neat package  and costs about the same as a SW autofocuser and a hitechastro focusmaster and i`m no electronic wizard and pavel seems to have a good product and works with ascom and confirmed it works with APT i will update in a few weeks time when hopefully i will have received and tried out . 

• By astrosathya
      Hi everyone,
      I recently got myself a GSO 6" f/4 astrograph, but seems like the secondary mirror was quite off. I then tried collimation using Astro Baby's tutorials, and others around the net. I've had a few Nets during the past 20 years, but this one seems to be a bit of a pain to get right. The secondary holder is a bit stiff. Anyone here done any mods for the scope and have reasonably good performance? I'be attached an image with Mire De Collimation circles. Image shows the reflection of primary, followed by the edge of secondary and followed by the grey card placed behind the secondary, which ends with the focuser tube. Any help will be appreciated.
      Edit: If I were to move the secondary towards 2'o'clock position, could it solve the problem?

• By Cog98
      Hi,
      I've been meaning to get out and try to get some Milky Way shots with my 18-55mm kit lens but I've been struggling to find any sites nearby that are actually dark enough to produce anything meaningful. I live in the Medway area and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as light pollution here is awful.
      Thanks,
      Billy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.