Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ok so I'm expecting my eqdir cable to arrive today.

I've got ascom driver etc cartes du ciel installed.

Phd2 already installed for guide camera. Ezcap installed for QHY8L image camera.

How do I forget about the handset and get everything running through cartes du ciel etc?

Cheers for any replies/help

Stu 

Don’t use the handset put it in storage , your life is about to get better, once you’ve installed Eqmod and set location time  date and same in CDC  , make sure your eqdirect  cable is a fdti type chipset then you should have no problem, so connect mount to computer via eqdirect cable , run Eqmod setup make sure it finds your port assuming everything set up open cdc connect telescope all should be well though get it running in your house first so you know it all works that the quick version good luck ??

32 minutes ago, Stu Wilson said:

Ok so I'm expecting my eqdir cable to arrive today.

I've got ascom driver etc cartes du ciel installed.

Phd2 already installed for guide camera. Ezcap installed for QHY8L image camera.

How do I forget about the handset and get everything running through cartes du ciel etc?

Cheers for any replies/help

Stu 

This should help you get sorted. It's what I used to set up eqmod with stellarium but it works with cdc. 

http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-setting-up-an-equatorial-mount-on-ascom-with-eqmod-stellarium-and-cartes-du-ciel.html

Set it up indoors if you don't have an observatory and practise getting it working in daytime by doing dummy slews and alignments from CdC.  You can also do dummy platesolves from images on here and slew to the right part of the sky.

Also, watch the Youtube videos by Chris Shillito.

Once set up, as stated above, make sure to calibrate on a star. Probably fairly simple but took me ages to find the info on this. I slewed to a target near where I was imaging and then in BackyardEOS nudged the mount until it was smack on the target, then go into Stellarium and hit CTRL and 3 to sync to the target (The reticule will be slightly off target as you have nudged it). You will then see the target reticule move back to the target you originally chose. Just thought I would mention as got stuck on this bit for ages, may just be me though (Stupid!) :hmh: Have fun!

Ok so far so good. Excellent tutorial above by the way thanks.

Now my next question is...... everything running and making pretty much sense last night in house with cartes du ciel and no scope on mount. 

When those clouds disappear and im loaded up with scope ccd and guide cameras do I just run PHD2 as normal for the guide scope?

Thanks

Stu :-)

9 hours ago, Stu Wilson said:

Ok so far so good. Excellent tutorial above by the way thanks.

Now my next question is...... everything running and making pretty much sense last night in house with cartes du ciel and no scope on mount. 

When those clouds disappear and im loaded up with scope ccd and guide cameras do I just run PHD2 as normal for the guide scope?

Thanks

Stu :-)

Yes. Once your on target you run phd2 as normal then once it's started guiding you can start imaging 

2 hours ago, geordie85 said:

Yes. Once your on target you run phd2 as normal then once it's started guiding you can start imaging 

excellent.

Just having another dry run in the house and hoping those clouds stay away for a proper trial run tonight.

Fingers crossed.

Clear Skies

Stu

Quick question Geordie.

Don't know if you use ezcap but do you know when it shows the polar alignment for position on clock. Is this where it should be placed on polar scope or the mirror image? Ie last night was showing about 8 o'clock position but I think I should of lined up at 2 o'clock position.

4 hours ago, Stu Wilson said:

Quick question Geordie.

Don't know if you use ezcap but do you know when it shows the polar alignment for position on clock. Is this where it should be placed on polar scope or the mirror image? Ie last night was showing about 8 o'clock position but I think I should of lined up at 2 o'clock position.

Sorry I can't help you there, I polar align with a polemaster and only use ezcap for lunar/ planetary imaging. 

Archived