SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astromaster equatorial mount on Ebay

This mount: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Celestron-Deluxe-Equatorial-Telescope-Mount-Tripod-Accepts-Dovetail-Bar-NEW-/401448611740?hash=item5d7833af9c

If I put a motor such as this: http://a.co/3YeG6qh ...

...on this mount, could it mount my Orion Goscope 80mm on it, and have it track an object?

It seems to have a Vixen style mounting system on it, or am I mistaken?

Could it handle something like a modern Celestron C90 scope?

This is the Celestron CG3 which is what is effectively an EQ2, not an EQ3. The steel legs look better than the box style aluminium ones but in my experience do not make it any more stable and found my 650/130EQ  reflector was somewhat "nervous" on it. However, my Mak 102 which is the slightly larger cousin to the C90 was much better on the mount. The Goscope 80, assuming it has a vixen dovetail should be OK too.The battery driven motor drive simply attaches via a flexible coupling to the slow motion connection. The Astromaster 90 which I think will be about 3Kg, will I think imo be on the limit of the mount, like the 130EQ, but users might beg to differ, it would be interesting to know. The maksutov 90 and 102mm would give equivalent (?) lunar/planetary views with no CA but have a smaller field of view being 1250/1300 mm focal length. An additional consideration is that with the smaller Maks the tripod does not need to be positioned so high, which makes the mount/tripod more stable.

Archived