Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen HR 2.4mm/H130 on the moon

jetstream

I have been blessed by 3 nights of superb seeing in a row and tonight the Heritage 130 performed way above expectations again. Mounted on the tripod the H130 was collimated accurately and cooled for a good while before observing which payed off big time. Many eyepieces were used including the 4mm,5mm,6mm,7mm, 12.5mm orthos, the NZ 3-6 and of course the Vixen 2.4mm HR. One preliminary look through the 3-6 zoom told me to run in for the 2.4mm. The views were razor sharp even at 53x aperture in inches! and in a little collapsible newt none the less.

The views were so good- for over two hours- that I am going to order the 2mm HR Vixen just to see just how much mag this scope will take. Can the H130 take 325x? judging from the ease at which it handled 271x I think there is a chance under these super steady spring skies. For those interested in eyepieces the 3-6 Nagler zoom excels in this scope and the Vixen is a fair step up from it, in this scope and others. The flexibility and good views the zoom gives secures it in the H130's case however.

Can the H130 go 64x aperture? were gonna find out...

Amazing Gerry! Just shows how much of the performance is down to the seeing conditions. Hope it stays good for a try with the Vixen.

Have you barlowed the Nag Zoom to get an idea of how it will be?

These Vixen HR eyepieces seem to be getting some very favourable comments here on SGL. I am tempted by the forthcoming 3.4mm; I think any shorter focal length versions would not be usable often enough in my scopes which tend to be of the long focal length variety, and usually, as has been said, it’s not how much mag the scope can take but how much the seeing can take. 

:thumbsup: I think that little F5 newton can take the 2mm HR.  

If I were more into double stars, I would get the 1.6mm and 2mm HR. Not sure whether Phobos, Deimos, Oberon, or Triton are reachable with the Tak 100.. 

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Amazing Gerry! Just shows how much of the performance is down to the seeing conditions. Hope it stays good for a try with the Vixen.

Have you barlowed the Nag Zoom to get an idea of how it will be?

Thanks Stu, conditions can be very stable here- the temp has been around 16c, dropping to 4c and the ice is still on the lake controlling the thermal issues it can create. I tried to barlow the 4mm UO last night but no go for focus. I like this cool little scope lol!

31 minutes ago, Piero said:

:thumbsup: I think that little F5 newton can take the 2mm HR.  

That's true. I was mainly thinking of the refractors which I mostly use with short focal length eyepieces. I rarely use them with the Dob, which I tend to use for the more widefield views. But I should give them a go :icon_biggrin:

Nice one Gerry some fantastic skies again ? I have barlowed the NZ and it worked a treat..... I will have to give the HR with the VIP a shot next time we get some clear skies.... which by all accounts will be very soon. I have to go to Geneva today so knowing my luck it will be clear here tonight ?

3 hours ago, jetstream said:

Have a great trip Shaun! Take it easy on them will you? :grin::hiding:

Thanks my friend, I am very close to CERN Gerry .... I will try to get a picture of Shiva ?

The H130 is just the best value scope out there in my mind... as a budget introduction to astronomy it can't be beat.  Not long ago I bought  TAL100rs thinking it would make a better lunar/planetary scope but I was wrong, the little H130 served up better views all round. Same thing happened later on when I bough a mak127... It just couldn't beat the H130! 

Archived