Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Second hand pitfalls

I have seen a pair of skymaster binoculars 25x70 second hand, is there anything that i should look out for? I hqve been told no scratches or marks on the lenses. They are for sale for £40 or should i just buy new for the extra £30 to £40.

Thanks in advance 

Depends where you have seen them. I would say if on Ebay then pay by Paypal and you are pretty well protected if they are not as described. You shoul dbe entitled to return them and get all moneys back including postage. If on another site then you should have some protection if you can pay by Paypal (but not if you use friends and family). Otherwise unless you can pick them up personally you may be taking a risk.

Steve

Pretty much everything in my signature was bought at least second hand. So far touch wood I've never had a problem with anything.

Buyer due diligence is key. Either get to know the seller somewhat, or when possible take a trip to view and purchase.

I've spent and also saved £1000s in this way.

£40 quid half price on new, can't be that bad. But you will be wanting a tripod.

Rich

Thanks for the reply, they are on a local selling site so i will be picking up. As this will be a first pair i just want to try and make sure i cover all bases. 

The seller has stated he has had them for years but never used, no box but bag and lense caps. 

I suppose if i check the lenses for scratches and pitting i should be ok, i hope

Screenshot_20180423-201121.jpg

Screenshot_20180423-201129.jpg

Minor scratches or marks on the lenses will have far less impact on the performance than collimation. If collecting them try them out in the first instance to make sure you can merge the images comfortably. £40 would be a good buy as described, you take pretty much the same level of risk with new ones at entry level prices. If the sale is satisfactory spend the saving on a tripod.   :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Agreed, Peter, collimation is key.  If the images don't merge then you are left with a monocular.  Try them first, test the focus on a distant object in both eyepieces, if you are happy, buy them.

So if i look through the lenses and can see one object, no double or bluring then i should buy them and be ok. I have read a couple of posts about checking collimation but its way over my head. 

Thanks for your help

I always look through the big ends first. If there's any muck or fungus in there, it will show up well. Then, I check for collimation and  focusing action ( central wheel and independent eyepiece ). Then,to check if the binoculars will focus to infinity for astro-use.

• Like 1

I have arranged to view and buy hopefully, i will check inside both lenses large and small. Look at a distant object to ensure that it is a single image and focus is right as for collimation not sure of an easy beginner way to check this. 

If the bins are not correctly collimated, you will experience double-vision with them.

• Like 1

I must say thanks for your help, i have just bought a very nice well looked after pair of Binoculars for a superb bargain price of £30. Going to get a tripod now for them. 

These are my first set and introduction to astronomy. 

IMG_20180424_175715.jpg

• Like 6

I have these CELESTRON Skymasters, too. The optics are surprisingly good for the price, but take care not to knock or drop the bins, as they have a reputation for losing collimation if we do.

• Like 2

True indeed about them losing collimation when knocked. Having said that, I had a similar pair of 15x70s which lasted me a long time, and collimating the prisms when knocked out of collimation isn't that hard. You could also look at a mono-pod + pistol grip solution for stabilising the binoculars. I use this quite often

• Like 1

Nice pick up there enjoy em :)

Tripod / monopod will allow you to get the best out of them especially with a pistol/trigger type head it keeps the bins really steady

• Like 1

Congrats. They look very well cared for. I'm assuming the collimation is OK. Nice bins. Definitely need a mount of some sort for those big boys. I'm a big strong lad and it's amazing just how short a time I can hand hold my 20x90 bins before my arms start to shake. Less than 10 seconds, much less. 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1

Of the bins I have bought on ebay, 3 pairs have needed servicing. One new and two pre-owned. The pre-owned needed cleaning internally, body and lenses, but all were old.

The new pair were damaged but fixed, though scarred. Beware ex-demo and shop soiled. 

On 24/04/2018 at 10:38, Merlin said:

I always look through the big ends first. If there's any muck or fungus in there, it will show up well.

Just to add, always use a bright light for this, at least until you know exactly what you are looking for. The bloke who sold this to me said they were fungus-free; when I showed him the image, he was mortified. Turns out he didn't use a light and was relying on ambient indoor light (under which they appear as almost imperceptible spots).

5af07b83c5d48_HeliosStellarObjectives-Fungalpatches.jpg.2fbe91d15780cc69c1341da3cf4731eb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You could use an upturned broom as a monopod til you buy one .

4 hours ago, knobby said:

You could use an upturned broom as a monopod til you buy one .

Nah, window cleaner with a cranked head (+ a bungee to secure the binocs): height adjustable, and the cranked head allows clearance for astronomer's belly. :grin:

4-Windowcleaner.thumb.jpg.f05512aeb59efa45801501896fe3b2a5.jpg

... but, if you are using a broom (or a rake), do cover the business end with a clean cloth:

3-Rake.thumb.jpg.75e7e6a048bfd5f51189c08a0cb1195f.jpg

Edit: PS, just scanned your QR code. Clever :thumbsup: (but slightly disappointing :D )

Edited by BinocularSky
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

Nah, window cleaner with a cranked head (+ a bungee to secure the binocs): height adjustable, and the cranked head allows clearance for astronomer's belly. :grin:

4-Windowcleaner.thumb.jpg.f05512aeb59efa45801501896fe3b2a5.jpg

... but, if you are using a broom (or a rake), do cover the business end with a clean cloth:

3-Rake.thumb.jpg.75e7e6a048bfd5f51189c08a0cb1195f.jpg

Edit: PS, just scanned your QR code. Clever :thumbsup: (but slightly disappointing :D )

Yours wins but mine is cheaper :hello2: