Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

does your telescope have a name?

Hi All,

so the other day I came across a blog and the author casually mentioned that he had named his telescope. This made me laugh a little. I then remembered that I had named my first car, people name boats and many other things besides....

so my question is, does your scope have a name? And if so, would you share it with us?

I asked the wife to choose a name and she came up with Apollo which I thought was a bit of a cliche but I didn't want to say that so I added a 4000 at the end just for fun. Apollo 4000.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My beautiful telescope, 5" f15 was named Andromeda ( means Ruler of Men ) by her previous owner and I have kept it, because like my first view of the scope, I liked it instantly.

I also have a 12" Dob, given the name Freeda by the same person, without my permission.:grin:

IMG_0004.JPG

7 hours ago, Timebandit said:

IMG_20180225_121236-1-2.thumb.jpg.619946e3bb1cc74775c7f1cbd46d6921.jpg

Yes. I have named mine.

The Beast and Diddy, care to guess which one is which  ? ? 

The little one the beast.... like calling a Rottweiler "tiny"

I've called all my scopes various names for as long as I can remember, particularly when I trip over them or the observing session isn't going well - though I always make up and apologise to them afterwards.

Most of the time I call my Astro-Tech 102ED 'Techy' and the SW 180 Mak 'Big Mak'.

17 hours ago, JeremyS said:

No

I've an idea Jeremy! You could call your FS102 "Taky." Somehow they seem to suit it! You could also call your Celestron "Schmidtty." You can see I've put a lot of thought into this before posting. :icon_biggrin: Be thankful you don't have a Meade! :unsure:

1 minute ago, mikeDnight said:

I've an idea Jeremy! You could call your FS102 "Taky." Somehow they seem to suit it! You could also call your Celestron "Schmidtty." You can see I've put a lot of thought into this before posting. :icon_biggrin: Be thankful you don't have a Meade! :unsure:

I see where you are going with this Mike ( or is it Mikey?). :-)

On 4/23/2018 at 22:09, Alien 13 said:

My WO ZS71 is called Eric, the Mak is called Eric...

Alan

Are all your scopes called Eric? ? (you don't want to be tarred with the epithet 'loony', now, do you?) 

Archived