SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M 16 Ha

Rodd

16 hours ago, Rodd said:

A bit smaller FOV--but same orientation--almost exact.  What scope/camera did you use and how many subs?

Rodd

it was 9x600s Ha, darks flats and bias, equipment as per sig, Pixinsight.  -  only 9 exposures, hmm, didn't realise it was so few, I definitely need to revisit then.  I'd normally want over 20.

my initial thread was here:

and then I had fun with star removal here:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, glowingturnip said:
19 hours ago, Rodd said:

it was 9x600s Ha, darks flats and bias, equipment as per sig, Pixinsight.  -  only 9 exposures, hmm, didn't realise it was so few, I definitely need to revisit then.  I'd normally want over 20

I remember now.  Gee--one sees what one wants to see I guess...it is very clear to me now that I need allot more data as well-your dynamic range and detail work greatly surpasses mine.  Where I have knots of blackness, you have gradational tone--and never black.  Part of that is my processing no doubt, trying to push the data too far.  But if the data was there to begin with, it wouldn't require such pushing.  Thank you for posting this image on this thread.  So far I am not thrilled with the ASI 1600.  

Rodd

7 minutes ago, glowingturnip said:

no no no, I think yours is very good, not a lot between them to be honest.  It just struck me as funny that we had almost exactly the same pic.

But I think we both owe it to ourselves to get more data :-)

If you take a close look at your crop, you will see a huge difference.  Maybe I just need more data.  Its a weird camera.  5 min subs might be too long....the number of subs is as important as exposure time.  I guess I should do an experiment using this target--continue with the image at 5 min subs and collect 10 hours worth (120) and compare that to 500 20 sec subs (2.8 hours--close to what I have now).  That will tell me what is better  more short or fewer long.

Rodd

Archived