Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First buy help.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Cartmansmom, what would you most like to look at?  For more general astronomy, there would be mini-Dobsonian (reflector) type telescopes in your price range, like this:

https://www.tringastro.co.uk/sky-watcher-heritage-100p-4031-p.asp

or this

https://www.tringastro.co.uk/sky-watcher-heritage-130p-flextube-dobsonian-telescope-445-p.asp

Mini Dobsonians need a sturdy table or barstool to set it upon, because they don't typically come with a tripod.

I have a Dobsonian, very simple to use and they are the best "bang for the buck" at any size, but they need adjustment sometimes (called collimation).

There are also some refracting telescopes in your price range, but I live in the US not the UK so I find it hard to suggest models.

At this price range there is also certain types of scopes which look like good value for money but are actually less than good quality.

You may want to keep some money aside for a 2x magnification barlow lens also, for some extra magnification possibilities to go along with couple of eyepieces that typically come with a telescope.

I hope this helps you.

9 hours ago, xvariablestarx said:

HI Cartmansmom, what would you most like to look at?  For more general astronomy, there would be mini-Dobsonian (reflector) type telescopes in your price range, like this:

https://www.tringastro.co.uk/sky-watcher-heritage-100p-4031-p.asp

or this

https://www.tringastro.co.uk/sky-watcher-heritage-130p-flextube-dobsonian-telescope-445-p.asp

Mini Dobsonians need a sturdy table or barstool to set it upon, because they don't typically come with a tripod.

I have a Dobsonian, very simple to use and they are the best "bang for the buck" at any size, but they need adjustment sometimes (called collimation).

There are also some refracting telescopes in your price range, but I live in the US not the UK so I find it hard to suggest models.

At this price range there is also certain types of scopes which look like good value for money but are actually less than good quality.

You may want to keep some money aside for a 2x magnification barlow lens also, for some extra magnification possibilities to go along with couple of eyepieces that typically come with a telescope.

I hope this helps you.

Thank you I will have a look at those. I mainly want it for stars and possibly planets, maybe even go deeper but hoping for something with nice detail. 

I like the second one better, if I wanted to see closer etc would I need different magnification or something lol. 

4 hours ago, RiponJas said:

Why not go the second hand route via ebay etc while you learn then keep saving for something better at a later date. I used to be broke all the time so know what this route is like. :icon_biggrin:

Literally about to scope ebay when I get home! Im always up for a bargain lol 

I'm still checking out ebay myself to see if there's any bargains for a second scope.  Like xvarisblestarx I to have a dobsonian and you get quite a lot of scope for your money.  Hope I don't end up bidding against you on ebay!! :icon_biggrin:

Jas

47 minutes ago, RiponJas said:

I'm still checking out ebay myself to see if there's any bargains for a second scope.  Like xvarisblestarx I to have a dobsonian and you get quite a lot of scope for your money.  Hope I don't end up bidding against you on ebay!! :icon_biggrin:

Jas

Oh my god if that happens, how funny. I never give up on bids!! ??

Would I need anything extra if I wanted closer views if I went with that scope 

9 minutes ago, Cartmansmom said:

Oh my god if that happens, how funny. I never give up on bids!! ??

Would I need anything extra if I wanted closer views if I went with that scope 

I mentioned a barlow lens, a barlow is like an extra lens that you put your eyepiece into, and it increases your magnification 2 times or more. By the way, magnification isn't everything, light grasp is more important, and light grasp comes from the aperture size of the scope. Ebay has some good finds, Craigslist also. If you find something tell us here so we can advise you.

I'm no expert as I'm new to it to but I do have a small range of different size eyepieces. All cheap ones at the moment. I'm sure plenty of advice will be winging your way pretty soon regarding this... 

Hi Cartmansmom

I'm very much starting out myself, and am firmly at the bottom of a very long ladder.  When you mention making things bigger, you'll quickly discover there is only so much of that you can do before things get mushy and messy.  Just so you have an idea of what to expect, I would strongly advise you to have a peep at the opening post of this thread.  It really is about as true a picture as you will get, as to what you will actually see.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/

And best of luck on your journey :)

Yes, what you can see is quite basic, but still you can see the Andromeda galaxy (as a faint smudge), the Orion nebula (some stars and bright nebulousity), the Pleiades (stars with nebulousity around them), Jupiter (you will see the four major moons of Jupiter, and at greater magnification you will see two of its equatorial bands). you will see the rings of Saturn (small but still recognisable as rings) and of course you will see our own Moon. There are lots of things to see in small telescopes, and different types of scopes are better at seeing certain objects than others.

I would avoid ebay as a beginner.  You need to be quite a savvy buyer to avoid being ripped off there.  Craigslist in the US can be a great place to locate a local, used 6" Dobsonian beginner's scope for under $200.  There's also CN classifieds and Astro Mart, but unless you're close to the seller, you'll lose out big time on shipping fees for a scope.

In the UK, there's AstroBoot and UK Astro Buy & Sell as well as ads right here on SGL.

One thing to note is that apart from the sun no stars are close enough to look like anything other than points. What a telescope will do is to allow you to see fainter stars and the gaps between them. Planets and the moon will appear larger but planets still might be smaller than you're imagining. 

If you're looking on eBay for used bargains it's probably a good idea to look for local pick up only items. I see you're in Stoke so if you can drive to Runcorn you might want to consider the following 8" dob. I'm not sure what to make of the remarks about the mirror though. Its difficult to tell from the pictures if it just needs a clean or it is something worse. Ignore the comments about it being better than the Skywatcher version. They are brands of the same company and only the eyepiece and tube colour are different. 

EBay 200p

Alternatively, in Cannock there is a 150p Skyliner up for sale.

150p

Both of these would be best used sitting on an adjustable height chair. 

The 150 p Skyliner in Cannock, mentioned by Ricochet, looks quite promising, and would leave you some money to buy a planisphere (Phillips), the Pocket Sky Atlas (Sky and Telescope) and a red light torch.  A simple collimation cap will do. Alternatively, I'd suggest the Skywatcher Heritage 130 P Flextube; with about 149 GBP still in your budget. Very compact, excellent optics, versatile; a lot of good reviews. It would give you pleasure for years, and could serve as a travel scope or grab-and-go scope, if you'd upgrade later. Have a look at Neil's review (you may skip the math part):

A Newtonian Travel ‘Scope | Neil English.net

Take yourself time with the decision; and download Stellarium to play with (it's free):

http://stellarium.org/

Have fun, and keep on asking!

Stephan

If your ok with used, you could pick up a 130 skywatcher on ebay for way less than 100 and then use the other money for some eyepieces as the ones you get with a new scope are never that Great...

Navigating around the sky takes some getting used to so you could consider starting off with some 10X50 binoculars., you will see a lot more than with the naked eye. Also the wide angle right with normal orientation makes it much easier to relate the view to the star maps. 

On 4/23/2018 at 12:30, xvariablestarx said:

I mentioned a barlow lens, a barlow is like an extra lens that you put your eyepiece into, and it increases your magnification 2 times or more. By the way, magnification isn't everything, light grasp is more important, and light grasp comes from the aperture size of the scope. Ebay has some good finds, Craigslist also. If you find something tell us here so we can advise you.

On 4/23/2018 at 16:01, Nyctimene said:

The 150 p Skyliner in Cannock, mentioned by Ricochet, looks quite promising, and would leave you some money to buy a planisphere (Phillips), the Pocket Sky Atlas (Sky and Telescope) and a red light torch.  A simple collimation cap will do. Alternatively, I'd suggest the Skywatcher Heritage 130 P Flextube; with about 149 GBP still in your budget. Very compact, excellent optics, versatile; a lot of good reviews. It would give you pleasure for years, and could serve as a travel scope or grab-and-go scope, if you'd upgrade later. Have a look at Neil's review (you may skip the math part):

A Newtonian Travel ‘Scope | Neil English.net

Take yourself time with the decision; and download Stellarium to play with (it's free):

http://stellarium.org/

Have fun, and keep on asking!

Stephan

On 4/23/2018 at 15:18, Ricochet said:

One thing to note is that apart from the sun no stars are close enough to look like anything other than points. What a telescope will do is to allow you to see fainter stars and the gaps between them. Planets and the moon will appear larger but planets still might be smaller than you're imagining. 

If you're looking on eBay for used bargains it's probably a good idea to look for local pick up only items. I see you're in Stoke so if you can drive to Runcorn you might want to consider the following 8" dob. I'm not sure what to make of the remarks about the mirror though. Its difficult to tell from the pictures if it just needs a clean or it is something worse. Ignore the comments about it being better than the Skywatcher version. They are brands of the same company and only the eyepiece and tube colour are different. 

EBay 200p

Alternatively, in Cannock there is a 150p Skyliner up for sale.

150p

Both of these would be best used sitting on an adjustable height chair. 

So i am a bit annoyed i missed out on the Ebay find up in Cannock but i don't drive either so i would of to of asked someone, been busy this week - But i have been looking at the Skywatcher heritage flex 130p and the skywatcher explorer 130p, i really like them both? I am moving towards the explorer but still unsure. 
I am hoping to get something asap as i think we have a full moon at the end of the month? I might be wrong 

If i was to get any of those two, do i need to get any extras? 

Thanks for helping
Rebecca 

On 4/23/2018 at 12:58, Ande said:

Hi Cartmansmom

I'm very much starting out myself, and am firmly at the bottom of a very long ladder.  When you mention making things bigger, you'll quickly discover there is only so much of that you can do before things get mushy and messy.  Just so you have an idea of what to expect, I would strongly advise you to have a peep at the opening post of this thread.  It really is about as true a picture as you will get, as to what you will actually see.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/

And best of luck on your journey :)

On 4/23/2018 at 12:42, DaveS said:

Have a look in this section of FLO (Our site sponsors)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html

There's a range there from below to above your budget.

I've bought a ton of kit from "Auntie Flo" in my time (Well into four figures :eek:) and can attest that their customer service is second to none.

Thanks! Both of those were helpful, i don't want to rush but at the same time i'm eager haha. I have narrowed it down to two maybe, skywatcher heritage 130 and the skywatcher explorer 130p

Thanks again for helping

Rebecca 

4 hours ago, Cartmansmom said:

i don't want to rush but at the same time i'm eager haha. I have narrowed it down to two maybe, skywatcher heritage 130 and the skywatcher explorer 130p

Hello, Rebecca,

Take yourself time; it's (for most of us) no fun to observe the full moon - details are washed out; it's best to observe along the light-shadow line (the terminator), which is almost disappearing near full moon.

Optically, the Heritage 130 P Flextube and the Explorer 130 P are identical with 130 mm aperture and 650 mm focal length. The focuser of the Heritage is a helically one, whereas the Explorer is equipped with a "rack and pinion" focuser, and a closed steel tube (better in light-polluted locations). The main difference is the mount. The Heritage's Dobsonian mount is rather sturdy and allows easy "intuitively" manual tracking. Most of us would avoid the Explorer's EQ-2 mount; it's regarded as rather wobbly and weak, which will be a hassle when using higher magnifications. It's, moreover, "contra-intuitive" to set up and to use for many novices. I'd save the 60 GBP and buy a planisphere, a red light torch,and the Pocket Sky Atlas, as mentioned above. No filters, and, for the first weeks, no additional eyepieces - just work your way and keep asking!

Hth.

Stephan

Agree about the mount, the eq2 is notoriously wobbly

However

The Explorer is f/6.9 rather than f/5 so will be more forgiving of less expensive eyepieces, and less than perfect collimation.

Yer pays yer money.... as they say.

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

The Explorer is f/6.9 rather than f/5 so will be more forgiving of less expensive eyepieces, and less than perfect collimation.

The Explorer 130 is equipped with a spherical primary mirror at f/6.9, whereas the Explorer 130 P has a parabolic primary. No own experience with the 130, but very pleased with my 130 P Flextube.

Have a look at FLO's comment here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/skywatcher-explorer-130-vs-130p.html

On 4/23/2018 at 10:01, Nyctimene said:

I'd suggest the Skywatcher Heritage 130 P Flextube

I second this, these scopes are very good. I use a $20.00 refractor collimator that gets it spot on and the supplied 25mm Super plossl is a nice eyepiece. Pick up a higher power eyepiece for the moon etc and its all ready to go.

Ah, thanks I hadn't seen that, but the FLO blog still says it might be better for visual, at 130mm and 900mm fl a spherical primary might still be within tolerence for diffraction limited performance, not done the math.

17 hours ago, DaveS said:

Ah, thanks I hadn't seen that, but the FLO blog still says it might be better for visual, at 130mm and 900mm fl a spherical primary might still be within tolerence for diffraction limited performance, not done the math.

Here's a nice explanation of paraboloidal vs spherical mirror tradeoffs by David Knisely on CN.

OK, as I said it was only a gut feeling, and I hadn't had time to do the math. From your link I would rule out the Explorer as a f/6.9 130mm spherical mirror isn't up to the job.

Go with the Heritage then.

Archived