Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hope and Patience win

Nyctimene

"Spes et patientia vincunt" - this old Latin phrase (translated in the title) came to my mind, when I closed the door of the astro shed yesterday morning at 04.00 CEST. The afternoon and evening before had not been promising at all; extremely long airplane contrails of up to 150° and an extended whitish glare around the sun were indicating high air humidity; so the chances for DSO observing were worse than the nights before, and I decided to stay indoors. When I awoke at 01.45, the sky looked somewhat better, and I set up the 8" f/4 for spontaneous observing. NELM 5.6, and SQM-L 21.2 an hour later showed a further improvement. But Scorpius deep south was not brilliant; and the galaxy 5746 in Virgo near 110 Virginis showed no details except it's spindle shape, so I went up to objects near the zenith. M 92 was well resolved at 133x; and for the first time, IIRC, I spotted the small globular NGC 6229 (9.4 mag) forming with a pair of 8 mag stars close by a nice triangle (thanks, Iain, for your hint from March 26th on here!). The cluster was granular,but not clearly resolved.

Over to M 102, the "Spindle Galaxy" in Draco. At 9.8 mag, it's 2,5:1 shape could be made out easily with direct vision; a rather "normal" view. I was very surprised, when I followed a chain of three 7.5 - 8.5 mag stars from 102  1°30' to the east to it's neighbour NGC 5907.  At 10.3 mag, I spotted it's 11 arc min extended and extremely "edge-on" shape (about 6:1 axis relation!) best at 100x - 133x with direct (and better with averted) vision; a very rewarding sight! This galaxy should be named as the "Spindle Galaxy", not M 102. The small nearby gx 5879 (11.5 mag) followed. I finished with a look at Saturn: the Cassini division could be seen clearly. Mars was a wobbly disc still deep south. At 04.00 a.m., I glimpsed M 8 without optical aids; and the Summer Milky Way showed more and more structures. So, again a rewarding night, and I was glad for not having given up the chance of observing.

A picture of 5907 added:

image.png.eb09212d7d40b70ba1ef114dc2bc88d7.png

Thenks for reading

Stephan

Great report, Stephan. Whilst observing last week with some members of the local astro society, we talked about how much conditions can change over the course of a session. Objects that seem dull can become bright and impressive 20 mins or an hour later. Always pays to revisit! 

Archived