Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick smash and grab doubles

Knighty2112

Went out tonight after 9pm to unexpected clear skies. Intended to do some lunar observations, but after aligning the C8 on the goto mount and a quick look at the moon I decided to go for some doubles instead. The list of which appears below from my observation list for the night in Skysafari. Sadly, at around 10pm clouds started to build up, so abandoned the session at approx 10:15pm.

B5148829-9E3F-43AB-A054-17A9702A2ED6.thumb.png.0fd7977ae0c3ae5aa4c5fed565bf16b5.png

4 hours ago, orion25 said:

I'm glad you got in a good hour of observing. Iota Cancri is a beautiful blue/gold double that's overhead in the early evening. I didn't realize there were so many double stars up there!

Thanks Reggie. Yes, Iota Cancri was a beautiful sight. I had not drawn up a list of doubles to observe, and was just using Skysafari’s Best doubles list, but plan to use Sissy Hass and Cambridge double star atlas next time to draw up a more extensive list by constellation. 

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

There are a lot of doubles in Bootes.

Yeas, I was in Bootes last and was looking for more in that area hen the clouds put short the session. Going to draw up a more comprehensive list for next time. :) 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Great targets there, a quick hour is better than nothing. Cloudy last night here, plus heavy rain and a thunderstorm in the night!

Yes Stu, you need to grab those skies as much as you can when there is a chance. :) 

Very good Gus.  I too like to draw up a list and have an idea of what to expect!  Doubles are great targets - varied, attractive, easier than fuzzies, but often challenging.  The CDSA is a wonderful aid.

No observing for me last night - wife's birthday, so we chilled!

Doug.

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Hope you get to view some soon in Cancer Wookie. :) 

I will have to wait until it comes round now again that area of sky is a no no for me and south is out with the stupid street light I am lucky can see high North and East nothing south or west.

37 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Very good Gus.  I too like to draw up a list and have an idea of what to expect!  Doubles are great targets - varied, attractive, easier than fuzzies, but often challenging.  The CDSA is a wonderful aid.

No observing for me last night - wife's birthday, so we chilled!

Doug.

Cheers Doug. Sounds like you had a good non Astro night then chillin’ out! :) 

10 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I will have to wait until it comes round now again that area of sky is a no no for me and south is out with the stupid street light I am lucky can see high North and East nothing south or west.

Sorry to hear of the observing restrictions there Wookie. Although my place is surrounded by bungalows and street lamps, there are a couple of places I can observe from with give me pretty good coverage of the whole sky (although not all at once), apart from closer down near the horizon due to rooftops etc. 

3 hours ago, Eastman said:

At least 1 hour Gus, I like it when you guys post those double's list. Makes a excellent to do/see list. Thanks

Ta! It’s forcast to be clear until midnight here, so hoping to draw up a list of doubles for tonight too. 

Archived