Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

posidonius

johnfosteruk

I had hoped to capture some data to win enter the Lunar Close-ups challenge this evening but the seeing was absolutely terrible. Don't remember it being as bad for a long while. So I decided make it a relaxed observing session instead. at 160x the poor seeing was evident but the keen eye awaits those moments of clarity and patience is rewarded. 

I spent most of the session studying the bowl shaped Posidonius, NE of Mare Serenitatis.

The 5 main peaks visible and 1 or 2 of the smaller peaks popping out of the mush occasionally. 

The ridge was razor sharp once or twice and I thought I had a glimpse of the main Rille then realised I'm probably about a day late for that so I'm imagining things now. Chacornac looks like a horseshoe hanging off posidonius' SE rim and posidonius B, J and Daniel taking the eye up past Grove towards the mighty Atlas and Hercules.

At 100x Posidonius was the eye catcher still and then I poked the phone down the scope for fun and a record as I hadn't been inside for the sketchpad.

5adbbe567d35d_iPhoneMoon221-04-18.thumb.png.70c7d86bdcda9f24c1bb884fcbde8935.png5adbbe5309af1_iPhoneMoon121-04-18.thumb.png.1e2aa739ee795eee77b777acfcf942a5.png

Archived