Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planets, moons, double stars! Oh my!

Knighty2112

After another glorious day of sunshine yesterday the skies stayed nice and clear, so at around 7:30pm (UK time) I put out my C8 SCT on its goto mount for a wee session.

First up after doing a solar system align on the moon, I skewed across to see if I could pick out Venus, which was still undetectable in the sky at that point to the naked eye (at least to me). With my 18mm X-Cel EP in the scope Venus was well within the FOV and easily identified. The three quarter full phase of the planet was easily visible. After a while I switched back to view the moon and looked along its terminator at some interesting features, especially in the northern hemisphere of the moon. As it was still very light outside (Venus was only just becoming visible to the naked eye), I was curious to see if I would be able to see any other stars through the scope at this time, so first off keyed in to go to Procyon. Sure enough this was seen quite easily in my 18mm EP. I then went to Capella, and again this showed up very easily too. Betelgeuse next, and this red supergiant star was again very evident in the EP. Finallly I swept across to look at Castor and Pollux in Gemini, which again both showed up easily in the EP, with the double of Castor easily seen too.

I then hopped between Venus and the moon for the next 45 mins or so. I put in my ADC into the scope, along with my 10mm Delos EP. After getting the correct setting to show Venus nicely in focus, as expected there were no planetary details visible in the clouds of Venus. I tried a few planetary filters, but nothing came out. So after exhausting my views of Venus I settled down for some observations on the moon, starting off on the terminator around the crater Posidonius, which showed interesting shadows and features inside the crater. I also had a look at the feature around Fredholm, which yesterday I posted looked like a giant caterpillar on the moons surface. Today, although this feature was still easily visible, the head of the feature could easily be seen to be the slope of a hill, whereas on the previous day this slope had been in shadow, which gave it the impression of a caterpillar to my eyes. Rupes Cauchy was easily seen as a gash on the floor of the Sea of Tranquillity, and also the associated feature Rima Cauchy too just to the north of crater Cauchy too. Atlas, Hercules and the area around Endymion and further north were looked at in detail also.

To finish off as it was still not fully dark enough yet to see any faint DSO’s I observed a small smattering of double stars to round off the night that were well placed from my limited observation point;

38 Geminorum

Iota Cancri

Phi2 Cancri - this one caused much confusion when writing this up as in the goto database it is listed erroneously as Theta 2 Can!

Finally finished off with Cor Caroli in Canes Venatici.

After this tiredness got the better of me so I called it a night on this short session, but glad for the wonderful views I got none the less. :) 

Hi Gus, enjoyed your enthusiastic write up ?

I’ve been out these last few nights as well. On Wednesday at my local club we had a session outside, we had 12” and 10” Dobs, an 80mm refractor, Canon IS binoculars, and a new visitor with his EQ mounted reflector, our instrument director helped to show him how it’s used. 

On Thursday night I had a session at home, lots seen, but double star alpha Hercules ( Rasalgethi ) stunned me with the colour contrast, best I’ve seen it, packed in at 02.45 when tiredness got the better of me. Earlier in the session, Jupiter’s GRS was well seen, the reddish colour was obvious.

Last night I had a very short session, it was “clear” but the whole sky was very hazy indeed, but when I first set up, I noticed a star about to be occulted at the moon’s dark limb. Waited and watched the star’s instantaneous extinction. Have yet to check which star that was.

Makes up for a long cloudy spell, Ed.

55 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

Hi Gus, enjoyed your enthusiastic write up ?

I’ve been out these last few nights as well. On Wednesday at my local club we had a session outside, we had 12” and 10” Dobs, an 80mm refractor, Canon IS binoculars, and a new visitor with his EQ mounted reflector, our instrument director helped to show him how it’s used. 

On Thursday night I had a session at home, lots seen, but double star alpha Hercules ( Rasalgethi ) stunned me with the colour contrast, best I’ve seen it, packed in at 02.45 when tiredness got the better of me. Earlier in the session, Jupiter’s GRS was well seen, the reddish colour was obvious.

Last night I had a very short session, it was “clear” but the whole sky was very hazy indeed, but when I first set up, I noticed a star about to be occulted at the moon’s dark limb. Waited and watched the star’s instantaneous extinction. Have yet to check which star that was.

Makes up for a long cloudy spell, Ed.

Thanks! :) Not the longest of sessions, and with the lighter nights coming in quickly now not the darkest for observations, but it was very enjoyable non the less.

Nice work Gus.  I was in a similar region in the early hours, using the ST120, and couldn't spot any fuzzies, but managed a few clusters, ending up with my fave, the Double Cluster, which I just stared into for while.  Did a bit of solar the day before too, so having fun!

Doug.

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

Nice work Gus.  I was in a similar region in the early hours, using the ST120, and couldn't spot any fuzzies, but managed a few clusters, ending up with my fave, the Double Cluster, which I just stared into for while.  Did a bit of solar the day before too, so having fun!

Doug.

Glad your having fun Doug. Just about to go out to do some more lunar observations, and most likely some more doubles too. :) 

I cannot see Cancer from my viewing place it is behind my house there are a few doubles I would like to bag. For the first time with the Tal I had a chance to look at the moon and as you said the terminator had some great contrast with the craters. Cor Caroli is one of my favourites nice haul there.

Archived