Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Maxim DL and dithering

Rodd

Any of you Maxim DL users (or x users) out there know if there is a setting that allows dithering every 10 subs--or at a predetermined frequency other than after every sub?  I am imaging with a camera that uses short subs--such a 20 sec to 2 min.  With 30 sec subs, having a 20 sec dither delay after each sub almost doubles the amount of time it takes to collect the subs.  Even 2 min subs....if I include a dither delay of 15 sec after each sub, its an extra minute for every 4 subs.  So a 3 hour run turns into a 3hour 20 min run (at least--because there is still focusing and the occasional bad sub, meridian flips etc).  With the amount of clear sky I get, I need to maximize my efficiency.

Thanks, Rodd

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Any of you Maxim DL users (or x users) out there know if there is a setting that allows dithering every 10 subs--or at a predetermined frequency other than after every sub?

There isn’t a simple, user selectable option for this in the current release of Maxim DL. It is possible via the scripting interface but would require you to write a script for each target.

This kind of fuction is really something that is best handled by an observatory automation program.

Previously, I ran an observatory using CCDCommander. Working together with, and commanding Maxim DL via it’s scripting interface, this offers dither options including dithering after every sub or after ‘x’ subs as well as dither magnitude. An automation program like CCDCommander gives you access to the power of Maxim’s scripting interface but without you having to write your own scripts. Being just a regular Windows type GUI program with tabbed pages it is easy to navigate and quick to set up for an evenings imaging.

Even if you don't have a bricks and mortar, physical observatory, an observatory automation program will connect to your mount, camera, guide camera, focuser, rotator etc and give you a fairly simple user interface to define a target, an acquisition sequence, including pointing refinement via plate solving, automatic or scheduled refocusing and bespoke dithering. You don’t need to use all the automation facilities, just the ones you need for a particular operation.

CCDCommander offers a 45 day free trial period, give it a go and see if it offers what you need.

http://ccdcommander.com/index.html

7 minutes ago, Oddsocks said:

There isn’t a simple, user selectable option for this in the current release of Maxim DL. It is possible via the scripting interface but would require you to write a script for each target.

This kind of fuction is really something that is best handled by an observatory automation program.

Previously, I ran an observatory using CCDCommander. Working together with, and commanding Maxim DL via it’s scripting interface, this offers dither options including dithering after every sub or after ‘x’ subs as well as dither magnitude. An automation program like CCDCommander gives you access to the power of Maxim’s scripting interface but without you having to write your own scripts. Being just a regular Windows type GUI program with tabbed pages it is easy to navigate and quick to set up for an evenings imaging.

Even if you don't have a bricks and mortar, physical observatory, an observatory automation program will connect to your mount, camera, guide camera, focuser, rotator etc and give you a fairly simple user interface to define a target, an acquisition sequence, including pointing refinement via plate solving, automatic or scheduled refocusing and bespoke dithering. You don’t need to use all the automation facilities, just the ones you need for a particular operation.

CCDCommander offers a 45 day free trial period, give it a go and see if it offers what you need.

http://ccdcommander.com/index.html

Thanks Oddsocks.  I will try it--but I have to ensure the boat doesn't topple--when I try to learn too many things at once, calamity is inevitable.  At present, I am learning the new camera.  It stinks becuase I have had it for 3 months and have used it only a couple of times do to weather.  It may sound simple, and perhaps I should be able to learn many things at once, but I know me, and if I try a new software package, there will be no imaging while I learn its fundementals.  For me that probably means multiple sessions.  

Rodd

Archived