Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

19th April

Managed to get out last night again for a couple of hours.

Spent probably all of my time close to Leo starting with Denebola and revisiting it after the other night. I moved on to Regulus to look at what I thought maybe U5470, but I now see that Regulus is a double star so I assume the smaller star close to it is the second star and not U5470

Next was Pollux and I attempted a hop to 2331 open cluster of 30 stars. I'm sure that I got to 64,65 & 59 but just couldn't find 53 & 47. After several attempts I decided to try again another night.

Wanting to finally find something I used Arcturus as my starting point and used the setting circles to jump across to M53. Really pleased that after less than 5 seconds searching with the scope M53 popped into view. Couldn't make out any detail, more of just a cloudy blob but chuffed to have found it.

Then finally with one last check of the sky and there was Jupiter. Spent a while looking at the planet, 3 moons to one side and the fourth on the opposite side but close to the planet. At first Jupiter was just a creamy disc but after a while the bands came into view. First time I've really seen these so really chuffed with my efforts.

Can't wait for the next session and to start getting star hopping sorted.

17 minutes ago, Ed in UK said:

Jupiter was just a creamy disc but after a while the bands came into view.

You know, I've been looking forward to seeing Jupiter for the first time but also afraid it was going to disappoint. After reading your post, especially the bit above, then checking your sig, I see we have the same scope so Jupiter might just be all I hope it is! I think it's time for the first viewing tonight. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the great report. :thumbsup:

Redscouse I used 18 mm EP Barlowed giving a magnification of X 100. 

It was a little low at first but as it climbed the view improved. if I had given it longer I may have seen a little more.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last night (20th to 21st) my best views of Jupiter were between 01:00 & 01:15 - then I went to bed. I was using my 250mm Dob. and my 127mm Mak., and both showed steadily improving views between midnight & 1 o'clock. The best clarity seemed to be at magnifications in the range 100 to 130. I pushed it to 190, but lost the detail sharpness.

Geoff

Archived