Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SP Wakefield

TomPN

So, I'm hoping to get a weekly star party going at Sandal Castle in Wakefield. It would be on Saturday evenings, nominally at 8pm but varying depending on when it gets dark.

You can get to Sandal Castle by car, by catching the train to Sandal and Agbrigg or by catching the 110 bus from Wakefield Bus Station, or you can even walk it from Wakefield City Center if you don't have anything heavy to carry - the main point here is that it's easily accessible.

I've been to Sandal Castle to stargaze with binoculars before, and I'd rate it at about 6 to 7 on the Bortle Scale - not as good as something out in the countryside, but better than trying to stargaze from in the middle of a city. As stated above, it's main advantage is ease of access, rather than any uber-dark skies.

So, what do people think? If I did start hosting this, would people be interested in coming?

• 5 weeks later...

Most of us from Wakefield Astro Society head out to Winscarr Reservoir or Sutton Bank... there've been issues observing at Sandal Castle previously with local idiots.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/04/2018 at 13:47, TomPN said:

So, I'm hoping to get a weekly star party going at Sandal Castle in Wakefield. It would be on Saturday evenings, nominally at 8pm but varying depending on when it gets dark.

You can get to Sandal Castle by car, by catching the train to Sandal and Agbrigg or by catching the 110 bus from Wakefield Bus Station, or you can even walk it from Wakefield City Center if you don't have anything heavy to carry - the main point here is that it's easily accessible.

I've been to Sandal Castle to stargaze with binoculars before, and I'd rate it at about 6 to 7 on the Bortle Scale - not as good as something out in the countryside, but better than trying to stargaze from in the middle of a city. As stated above, it's main advantage is ease of access, rather than any uber-dark skies.

So, what do people think? If I did start hosting this, would people be interested in coming?

You should try to join us on one of our sessions 

Archived