Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Baader Maxbright bino viewer

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see this available again.  I have one of these and I think it's very good value for the quality and features.  This price doesn't include a T2 nosepiece or a glass path corrector which are extra.  Personally I just use the glass element part of a SW deluxe barlow instead of the corrector and it seems to work very well :smile:.

https://baader-planetarium.uk.com/productinfo.php/Optical_Accessories/Binocular_Viewers/Maxbright_Binocular_Viewer/3538

I will be using mine on a C8 to start with, so a GPC might not be needed. Not sure about nose. 

AFA other scopes, most likely my 120 Equinox is the other, as it has a strong Moonlite focuser to take extra weight. Not sure about Tak DF focuser. 

I struggled to get good collimation with the Maxbrights, and had hoped they would address this with the new model but it seems clicklock adaptors are still are future option, not standard.

I do like the self centring eyepiece holders which the likes of TS and others use. Simple and effective

Description says it has multiple clamp screws, collimatable ep holders and individual dioptre adjustment. Sounds good for its price tag anyway. :happy8:

I would love a Mk 5, but it's price is for dedicated bv users, which I am not, yet! 

1 minute ago, 25585 said:

Description says it has multiple clamp screws, collimatable ep holders and individual dioptre adjustment. Sounds good for its price tag anyway. :happy8:

Same as the old one. Too much unnecessary adjustment I think, you just need simple self centring and bob is your uncle. My Mark IVs have a single set screw, but the tolerance is so accurate on the holders that collimation is always spot on.

I have an Arcturus binoviewer with the camming style eyepiece holders.  Undercuts on eyepieces can still cause them to tip as they are tightened into place.  However, if you firmly hold them down against the holder while tightening, you can get a decently aligned hold on the barrel.  Smooth barrels are the best for binoviewers, though.

In my 127 Mak, I don't need any OCS/GPC to reach focus, but I do use the nosepiece of a Meade 140 2x barlow to reach focus in either my Dob or 72ED.

2 hours ago, 25585 said:

I will be using mine on a C8 to start with, so a GPC might not be needed. Not sure about nose. 

AFA other scopes, most likely my 120 Equinox is the other, as it has a strong Moonlite focuser to take extra weight. Not sure about Tak DF focuser. 

You're correct in thinking you won't need a glass path corrector, there is enough travel in the SC to focus without as it's the mirror that moves giving a huge focus range compared with most other telescopes - I have a friend's SW 180mm Mak on long term loan and don't need to use a corrector on it, whilst I do on my Astro-Tech four inch refractor.

You can use a 1.25 or 2 inch nosepiece on it.  Mine came with a 1.25 but I also bought a 2 inch as it makes a more secure fitting to your telescope - as long as the scope has a two inch focuser of course.

Here's a pdf of the instructions for using the Maxbright - I don't know if they will be any different for the reincarnated one - I don't expect so.

http://www.alpineastro.com/Binoviewers/Maxbright Binoviewer Instructions.pdf

On 20/04/2018 at 10:34, 25585 said:

Looking at David Hinds web site, possibly the new Baader Maxbright bino viewer details are published. 

They seem to have more Mk 5 features price £199. 

Don't think they've announced the new Maxbright yet. I think the binoviewer on David Hinds' website is the previous model. Expect the new one to offer improved features - and to be a fair few quid more than £199.

8 hours ago, Tubby Bear said:

They've only had about 3 years so far

Yes, maybe they should rename the Maxbrights "Morpheusbright" :grin:.

Mind you, I've just bought the M17.5mm recently, and it was worth the wait - it's a wonderful eyepiece ?.

Dave

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

Yes, maybe they should rename the Maxbrights "Morpheusbright" :grin:.

Mind you, I've just bought the M17.5mm recently, and it was worth the wait - it's a wonderful eyepiece ?.

Dave

I await your appraisal of this eyepiece Dave, and perhaps an indication of the IPD required :grin:

As for the new Baader binoviewers, the latest statement from them reads well, and to me says that when it comes to market, it will indeed have been worth the wait.:smiley:

2 hours ago, Saganite said:

I await your appraisal of this eyepiece Dave, and perhaps an indication of the IPD required :grin:

As for the new Baader binoviewers, the latest statement from them reads well, and to me says that when it comes to market, it will indeed have been worth the wait.:smiley:

I agree, Steve.

While the 17.5mm Morpheus development was a bit of a "shooting themselves in the foot" episode, it is to Baader's credit that they did put their hands up and, importantly, did NOT release a product that they weren't happy with.

I am a big fan of Baader's T2 system, and only yesterday I remembered that there is a T2 female thread on my Baader 2" to 1.25" reducer, which I was able to thread on to one of my Baader T2 prism diagonals, giving a really solid connection able to take all the weight I might want to put on it. They are certainly an innovative company and do offer products of excellent build quality. Another great product they do is the 1.25" to T2 focusing eyepiece holder, which I also have. Makes high power fine focus much easier - although if they could make it a helical twistgrip rather than helical with retaining screws that would be even better.

My wish  list for the new Maxbright MkII would include:

• larger aperture than the standard 23mm/21mm (objective/eyepiece) size, meaning larger prisms as well
  • compression ring, self-centering and focusing eyepiece holders - banish those annoyingly tiny adjustment screws from the MKI
  • shortest possible lightpath to allow maximum in focus range and maybe useable without an OCS/barlow in refractors ( a big ask maybe?)
  • A decent sized aluminium case with room for at least two pairs of eyepieces and 2 OCS units

I agree we should expect a significantly higher price for all this: my guess is £300-£400 range - above that people like me will be put off by the cost, below that, they might not be able to make meaningful improvements on the areas outlined above.

At least the delay means I have time to save up for one!:icon_biggrin:

Dave

On 20/04/2018 at 12:32, 25585 said:

Not sure about Tak DF focuser. 

Your Tak DF focuser will be perfectly fine with the binoviewer attached. I've been using a DC for the last three years with a binoviewer almost perminantly attached, and the DC focuser is not as hefty as the DF. I've had no issues of any kind so far, so I expect it will stay that way for the foreseeable future. The Tak microfocuser is a nice addition though, and comes in handy when observing at the silly high powers that Taks seem to relish so much.

I wonder if they'll introduce their own version of the Denkmeier Power Switch.  Many folks on CN sing its praises.

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

compression ring, self-centering and focusing eyepiece holders - banish those annoyingly tiny adjustment screws from the MKI

I hope they improve on the ones found in the low end BV clones out there.  The nylon band is too narrow and will tilt eyepieces with undercuts during tightening.  If it was three times wider, it might work better.

Bought a pair of original MaxBs for the time being, as hopefully an upgrade on my Revelations. 

So if I eventually move up to the new model, or a Mk 5 one day, I will have some T system plumbing already. 

Seems to be all Baader buying recently!

13 hours ago, 25585 said:

Bought a pair of original MaxBs for the time being, as hopefully an upgrade on my Revelations. 

So if I eventually move up to the new model, or a Mk 5 one day, I will have some T system plumbing already. 

Seems to be all Baader buying recently!

Where did you get them Richard? Were they new?

Archived